BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best IRS for Coupe (parts list/years)? etc

Post Thanks / Like

Question Best IRS for Coupe (parts list/years)? etc

I am ~ new to the Coupe forum and I plan to order a coupe later this year (Coyote / Tko 600. PS & PB) however before I order I would like to source the best IRS (parts - models/years, list of parts etc). Mainly daily driver - weekend track time.

I would also like power windows and I have read Gordon Levy has a solution - I would like to know more about this - do I ship the doors separate for window install etc?

Coyote - are there any special mods required for the coupe? I am assuming similar DS foot box mods but are there any other specifics required

Also - any recommendations re the best power brake set-up? I am planning to go with the Willwood pedal box & set-up

I just completed my Mk4 - Coyote, Tko600, Moser solid axel, 3 link etc. My next build (decided on coupe) I will go with a similar set-up but with IRS (plus PS & PB). This time around I will source the drive train & rear end first before placing my order (will save time that way)

Thanks in advance

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jester,

Best advice is to work with one of the forum vendors for these parts ... Breeze, Mike Forte, Whitby Motorcars, Gordon Levy, etc. They can give you the best advice and generally the best prices on what you need.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    1989 - 1997 Thunderbird SC , 1993 - 1998 Lincoln Mark III, or 1989 - 1992 Cougar RX-7 Super Charged V6.

Here are some pictures that show what to look for.
    http://cobrasite1.home.comcast.net/~cobrasite1/irs.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had some problems with my IRS. I would do lots of research first and still expect some problems. Heres a couple of suggestions:

1. If you have a girdle on your pumpkin you probably won't be able to fit it into it's mounting position in the frame without removing the girdle first. It's a little more work but you won't scratch up your cover and frame like I did and it makes the install super easy.

2. I have a Torsen differential and the FFR supplied axles would not fit. I had to modify them by extending the grooves on the axles about 1/8 of an inch until the c clip could engage. Again, this is not too much work, but it took a while to figure out what the heck was going on. I don't think this is an issue with the ford diff but I am not positive.

3. There are two different kinds of rear control arms. One is the standard control arm, and the other is for the pin drive. I received the pin drive control arms (FFR's mistake) I had Fortes cut them up and install adjusters onto them before I figured out that they were the wrong ones. Now I am stuck trying to sell them as FFR would not exchange a modified part. I am out a good chunk of money and am back to control arms without adjusters. Still thinking about what to do about that. Anyway, make sure you have the right control arms! The standard ones have tabs that extend straight out. The pin drive ones have tabs that sit perpendicular to the arms.

I kind of wish I went 3 link, but I know when I finally get it all resolved I will enjoy my IRS. I just hope that I've encountered all of the problems that I am going to have. If I was doing it again I think I would just order everything from FFR. It is more expensive but at least they would be responsible if something doesn't fit right. Good luck with yours!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx for the input

I have reviewed all of the posts on the Coupe forum and it is apparent that all IRS rear ends require ongoing maintenance. There is a comment that the 02-04 Mustang Cobra IRS is the strongest.

Any comments.

I may rethink the IRS vs the Moser solid axel

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff

i will have to look into it.

Go Bronko's!