Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: fuel tank question

Post Thanks / Like

fuel tank question

Do I need the fuel evaporation canister? and what is the third (bottom) port under the two fuel lines for?

Post Thanks / Like
    I need the evap canister to get a VIN in New York. You'll have to check with your state's DMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to use a heavy aluminum can with charcoal... plenty of discussion threads on the forum re making one for their other kits
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I'm going to use a heavy aluminum can with charcoal... plenty of discussion threads on the forum re making one for their other kits
    But can I run without it? And if so where do I connect the tank vent to? The third fitting?

Post Thanks / Like
    You could. But tank venting might stink up the garage!
    Have you seen the 818 Registry on Google Maps?? https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...a=0&dg=feature

Want your 818 added to the Registry? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zmF...rNCY4/viewform

Post Thanks / Like
    Where does the vapor canister mount on the frame. Does anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Where does the vapor canister mount on the frame. Does anyone know?
    Anywhere you can find a place. I'm thinking of mounting mine between the body and frame near the drivers left side. Essentially on the outside of the frame above the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    You could. But tank venting might stink up the garage!
    Ok thanks that gets that out of the way. Now the third fitting.

Can I just drill a hole in the intake before the turbo and hook it up there?
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg; 05-09-2014 at 06:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know of a generic or after market charcoal canister that could be used instead of the big heavy OEM? Something that could just be attached to the vent hose from the tank, not need to be plumbed to engine vacuum?

Post Thanks / Like
    There was some discussion about this a few months ago. Someone suggested using a miata vapor canister - they go for about $20 and seem to be smaller than the subaru version. I haven't decided yet but am leaning towards going this route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Anyone know of a generic or after market charcoal canister that could be used instead of the big heavy OEM? Something that could just be attached to the vent hose from the tank, not need to be plumbed to engine vacuum?
    Its was on our build. I will take a few pictures this weakened on how its mounted and post them. The bracket that holds the canister in place has two studs welded in to it. I ended up cutting them off then drilled them out to 1/4" to mount onto the firewall we fabricated. Here is a factory picture of the canister. It mounts with the two nipples up. The larger diameter goes the gas tank vent and the smaller to the intake manifold (if you chose to connect it) the bottom nipple on the canister you just run a hose to the bottom of the car to vent out the filtered gas fumes.

Miata canister.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Waruaki, with the Miata canister can you fill up your tank without it backing up? I know on roadsters that some canisters don't allow enough outflow and then it takes forever to fill the tank. If so, can you give the part #? Thanks.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Waruaki, with the Miata canister can you fill up your tank without it backing up? I know on roadsters that some canisters don't allow enough outflow and then it takes forever to fill the tank. If so, can you give the part #? Thanks.
    As I have yet to fill the tank with gas I can't answer your question. Next week I'm hoping to run the motor for the first time since its transplant into the 818 and should know then. I did use the same canister on my monster Miata build however using a Ford Cobra FI 5.0 in the Miata and used the same canister for that without issue. I bought our current canister off eBay it was off a 94 Miata. I don't remember what year groups of Miata's use the smaller round canister like the one pictured before they switched to the large rectangular model that looks similar to the one I removed from our WRX. If you buy one used try and get the oem bracket with it if you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete, the fuel filler has enough gap and the hose is such a large diameter that you shouldn't have an issue.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Waruaki, I bought the canister & bracket on ebay.
    Thanks Dan, I see what you mean about the fat filler pipe. The canister will keep my wife from complaining - at least about fumes in the garage.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).