Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Misc. detail photos... while I wait, and wait, and wait for state inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Misc. detail photos... while I wait, and wait, and wait for state inspection

Since I don't have anything to do on my car and I'm really bored waiting for the Illinois Secretary of State representitive to come out and inspect it before I can legally turn a wheel on the local roads, I took a bunch of photos to amuse myself.

Taken from my "big chair" in the shop - a page from Colin Comer's book on the 50th anniversary of the Cobra showing a vinyard green "Dragon Snake" that was converted to street use. The car in the photo often served as an inspiration when I was doing color selection.

Backside of one of the overriders showing the semi-gloss black spray-job. This really helps with the reflection on the body as they almost aren't visible, whereas the light raw stainless finish showed up like a sore thumb on the dark green paint and drew the viewer's eye away from everything else. Since this is on stainless and not subject to direct hits of road debris, I just went with the Rust-O-leum "pro" brand of spray.

Ahhh, a time-honored point of contention... which way should the bases of the hood locks be oriented?!? I choose cross-ways so that the screws and the posts were all centered in the stiffening rib on the inside panel of the hood. I also added slotted screws to these, as I did with lots of other parts for an "old-school" look:

Lucas PL700 lamps with stoneguards (modified mounts to match those on lots of the original race Cobras) and marker / turnsignal lenses replaced with OEM Lucas with "Made in England" markings. Not the best pic of these, as you can't see that they're held in place with knurled screws with a raised head:

One of the few "Karl Gess Limited Edition" trunk lids out there - way more rounded than the original Mk3.1 lid (closer to the original car's shape) and room for a full-size license plate (in this case, a repop of the Shelby American manufacturer plate, complete with a reflective CA '65 sticker). Note the slotted head screws on the trunk latch, too:

One of my favorite accessories - an honest-to-goodness 1965 Road America tech sticker from the June Sprints and RA500 USRRC race. I know, it should be mounted on the right front over the radiator opening, but I couldn't bring myself to put it there. Instead, it's mounted here using some double-sided tape that is removeable in case I ever want to relocate it. I've had this for a dozen or so years... something I found at an estate sale in the Elkhart Lake area, along with lots of other things like paddock passes, water transfer decals, and programs (yep - I bought those, too). Also visible in this pic are the rubber grommets I used for the rollbar holes (sourced from McMaster).

Finally, the #4 button head screws that I used for the hood scoop mounting and to mimic the rivets that were used on the comp cars to ensure that the hood panel was securely mounted to the hoop underneath. These are blind as the holes were drilled above the stiffening rib on the inside panel and are held in place by a close tolerance fit and a little bit of 3M clear seam seal that I applied with a toothpick before gently inserting them and pushing them down with a wooden dowel so as to avoid smearing the goo.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. I like the touch on the inside of the over-riders. You do realize that you are making my body off to do list longer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic Chris!!!
    One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. Paint done by Da Bat! It looks killer! Drive it like you stole it...