Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR wind tunnel results

Post Thanks / Like

FFR wind tunnel results

Anyone recall where I can find the 818 wind tunnel written results (text not just video)? I seem to remember that the aero results were better without some of the front bumper cut outs. I want to determine which they were. I need to decide whether or not to cut out the small square openings alongside the main grill opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are building an S, no? Why the concern (about aero)? Why cut the area out? Do it if you want to add brake ducts.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I copied in my notes:

"In the end our best numbers came with the extra radiator ducts taped off, the new splitter with the air gap taped off, 5 degrees of wing angle, the rear diffuser in place, no side skirts, and a level ride height of 3-3/8 inch. The max downforce produced was 120 lbs front and 164 lbs rear at 100mph, this increases to 271lbs front and 369 lbs rear downforce at 150mph."

Here is the web page:
    https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...tory-five-818/

I think this was Jim Schenck,
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-23-2015 at 08:58 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What are "extra radiator ducts"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    What are "extra radiator ducts"?

The extra radiator ducts are the 2 holes on each side of the main intake.
    They also taped up the bottom hole.

They have the bottom blocked off in the grey car.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-23-2015 at 11:16 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The only place I know where the wind tunnel results were discussed in detail was in one of the factory update emails, #8???
    https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...tory-five-818/

"This combination included the old splitter, the side skirts, and the rear wing at zero degrees, and produced just under 200lbs of total downforce at 100mph giving us our baseline to improve upon. Switching out to the new splitter added 30 plus lbs of downforce to the front end and another 20lbs by taping off the opening between the body and splitter."

"we then adjusted the wing angle and added the diffuser to balance out the car. In the end our best numbers came with the extra radiator ducts taped off, the new splitter with the air gap taped off, 5 degrees of wing angle, the rear diffuser in place, no side skirts, and a level ride height of 3-3/8 inch"

Edit: Rats, just read Bob's post that says pretty much the same thing
    Last edited by DodgyTim; 02-24-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    3.375 ride height? G, I don't think I can make it much under 4.75" around here (road inconsistencies requires a certain height for your car's protection).
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info guys. Thanks so much. Yes, my car is an S, but will see some track days. I am hoping that the rear spoiler that FFR sold me is taller than the one they used in the original wind tunnel test, as they determined that it needed to be made larger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Great info guys. Thanks so much. Yes, my car is an S, but will see some track days. I am hoping that the rear spoiler that FFR sold me is taller than the one they used in the original wind tunnel test, as they determined that it needed to be made larger.
    Based on the post on FFR's website, it sounds like none of the aero bits were "approved for production" until after wind tunnel testing, so I assume all the rear spoilers for the S are the correct height.

Somebody please correct me if I'm reading too much into the post by FFR.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The production rear spoilers are all the higher height we found worked better in the tunnel.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick clarification Jim.