BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Registration and Vehicle Odometer Reading

Post Thanks / Like

Registration and Vehicle Odometer Reading

For those of you that have already registered and performed an odometer reset, did you have any issues during your state patrol inspection? Did they ask where and who did the reset?

Post Thanks / Like
    interested to hear the responses on this, though I suspect it's going to vary by state and tie in closely with what kind of restrictions/exemptions/etc that a given state places on these types of cars (Illinois calls them specially constructed vehicles). I am planning to have my inspection within a few weeks and have done the odometer reset, so I'll contribute my experience soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem in Colorado

Post Thanks / Like
    I ask because I will be going in for inspection shortly and contemplating on whether or not I should have it reset. It would definitely be nice seeing the zeros.

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering you will be issued a new VIN (or use the Serial # provided by FFR, not sure what the rule is in WA), I can't imagine why any state would require you to start with the mileage shown on the odometer of the donor vehicle.

At worst, resetting to -0- would cause them to note it on your title as "exempt" or "inaccurate odometer" reading. The more I think about this, the more surprised I would be if any state tried to raise an issue with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    Considering you will be issued a new VIN (or use the Serial # provided by FFR, not sure what the rule is in WA), I can't imagine why any state would require you to start with the mileage shown on the odometer of the donor vehicle.

At worst, resetting to -0- would cause them to note it on your title as "exempt" or "inaccurate odometer" reading. The more I think about this, the more surprised I would be if any state tried to raise an issue with this.
    Valid point. Thats the same thought i had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    I ask because I will be going in for inspection shortly and contemplating on whether or not I should have it reset. It would definitely be nice seeing the zeros.
    Kurk, if you're thinking about resetting your odometer, I'd suggest doing it before you register since it is the official measurement device that records mileage. If the mileage you claim does not match the cluster, it may look like fraud (unless you claim the the 818 has the mileage on your used cluster). Certain states also scale yearly property taxes based on mileage (like in my state) so newer low mileage vehicles reflect a higher assessed value and therefore require a higher tax. This odometer issue is sort of a grey area with kit cars. I had my sti cluster reset by these guys http://www.aaellc.com/, I'd definitely recommend them. Resetting is the simplest route and will avoid confusion later.