Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cooling system pressure test?

Post Thanks / Like

Cooling system pressure test?

I've got a coolant leak somewhere above the top of the block and it leaks only when the system is warm. I'd like to pressurize to the system to find the leak when it's cool, but what's the easiest way to do that?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pressure test kit. Here is a cheap one. http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-MV4560.../dp/B003V9L05G

If you already have a mityvac, I'm not sure if they sell just the adapter fittings. But if you already own the mityvac, you could to it just as easily by getting some hose and fittings, and "splicing" the mityvac into one of the lines to the coolant expansion tank. Pressurize it to 13 to 15 psi (about 1-2 psi lower than whatever it says on your reservoir cap) then look for the leak.

Post Thanks / Like
    you may be able to rent a pressure tester from a local parts store. you could also try tooltopia.com they have tons of tools at good prices

Post Thanks / Like
    To follow up, I made a McGyver pressure tester from an old bicycle pump spliced into a tube from the Coolant reservoir. I found the coolant leak was from a hose clamp I had not tightened enough many months ago. I'm relieved it wasn't something more $erious!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice hack Pete!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14