FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is everyone/anyone planning to track their XXR wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Is everyone/anyone planning to track their XXR wheels?

There's a large portion of 818S builders running XXR wheels. These wheels are cheap. While there's not a whole lot of proof that their quality is so low that we're putting ourselves in danger, most "online" opinions suggest this wheel doesn't belong on the track. However the 818 is 1000-1500lbs lighter than most cars, and one could argue that we need less out of a wheel, or put less stress on it.

I've been very eager and indecisive this past week about ordering wheels/tires and need some direction. I will definitely be tracking and auto crossing my 818. Eventually I would like to have two sets of wheels/tires. A decent lightweight wheel with either R-compounds or slicks, and some street wheels(XXR) with some "high-performance" tires. But what I'm considering is running some XXR's with either R888's or NT01's and run just those for a few seasons.

Any thoughts on the subject? I welcome outright bashing of XXR's or either tire choice.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    I to am interested in this as I to am looking at XXR wheels, I would like to track mine from time to time and would just run a good high performance street tire. I dont want to get into 2 sets as my car will spend 90% of its life just crusing the roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not planning to track, and mostly street with occasional autocross.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 wheels. They are very light and strong and come in whatever offset you need! I think they look great too! I went through Paul at Team Illuminata and he was great to work with: http://www.teamilluminata.com/Shop/T...amDynamics.htm

Here are some pics of them on my car:

Last edited by GUNS; 04-23-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Harfang
    Post Thanks / Like
    11188227_870541539659325_311991808020072646_n[1].jpgWe made lapping with XXR Wheel around 200 laps done. We don't have any problem!!! no crack no distortion.

Post Thanks / Like
    We run the 527's on our GT3 car and our EP cars, no issue at all. Great wheel actually.
    photo.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Just do a search on XXR wheel failures. That's why I ordered two sets of Team Dynamic Pro Race 2.1's for my R. I'm not risking it for saving a couple hundred dollars. I have seen too many cheap wheels break at the track (Wannabe Fast and Furious Ricer cars)
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    You could be right, the 15's we run are a 0 offset, so no cantilever either way, but we do race on both bias and radial slicks, pulling some high g's with no issues, so....
    We also check the wheels every race (we have 6 sets). We have Panasports and Volks as well, with no issues. light car, don't hit curbs, xxr should be fine, but the team dynamics are definitely a better wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen some of the failure threads and its enough to keep me away from them. Plenty of people have no issues with them under conditions similar to the failed wheels so my feeling is that it could be variability in manufacturing and/or quality control. I don't want to risk getting a bad wheel since I have no way of testing safely.