Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Interesting read

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting read on diffusers. I'd love to try to recreate those under-body flow diagrams for our cars at different heights and with different defusers

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I found that interesting too. Funny about the comment below the article about diffuser efficiency in a "yaw" state. I would think a driver of a formula car would be interested in survival if their car isn't running a pretty straight line. Though theoretically interesting, drivers would consider that a real "oh sh**" moment.

Thanks,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Another great link/read for aerodynamic information:

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=48400

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice read - thanks Mitch for sharing it.

One thing that always throws up a caution flag for me though is that for many folks at our level, we just need to get some basics down first before delving into the much more advanced analysis and techniques.

To me, regarding diffusers, that means thinking seriously about:

1. How and where you transition from the forward floor to the angled part(s) of the diffuser itself - the "how" should be unbroken planes (which means no gaps, holes, etc.), and the "where" should be based on where you want the lowest area of pressure to sit (i.o.w. it's a strategic design decision)

2. Using fences to line the diffuser its full length (front to rear)

3. Using the entire width of the available space between tires (or control arms)

The FFR supplied piece makes most of this a challenge. The 818 chassis itself with the way the engine sits makes some of it difficult. With the right exhaust you should be able to see a main angle of 7-9 deg without interference, but if you're committed to a particular exhaust, you may be tempted to cut a hole near the leading edge of the diffuser (which is so-not-a-good-idea). Also, nothing says a diffuser has to have a only one angle; they can have multiple floor-segments each with their own angles and even continuously variable ones (i.e. curved upwards). As the article shows, all of these are going to give the diffuser different performance characteristics. I'm just really surprised at how much wider the performance envelope is for the higher angle diffusers. The low-angle ones are so much more peaky! That's really intriguing, esp. since most every 818 is going to have a fairly high ride height ("high" being relative to the world of ground-effect cars).

Anyway, once you get the basics squared away with a solid design, you can start fine tuning it...start figuring out ways to feed it. =)

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite quote from the comments to the article:

"As Aeros, particularly when working in F1, we will spread bull**** to people so that they are misled because the other teams are listening."

Makes you get real cautions when it comes to seeing stuff on the web...
    I am glad to see him promote Katz's book a few times - really good read.
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Duke- I read the link you posted. It sounds like pretty good stuff to me. Lot to learn here! This quote sticks out to me

"Deck lid surface lower than fenders or concave shape."

Our deck lids seem slightly convex to me. And certainly no lower than the fenders. I have a lot of space under the deck lid, too. I wonder if a concave deck lid would be worth considering