Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Plastic mock up motor? Anyone use one?

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic mock up motor? Anyone use one?

Is anyone here using a plastic mock up motor for their build? I saw summit sells a ford 302 long block for $349, but it seems a little expensive for convenience. I was wondering if I bought one, would I be able to re-sell it later for maybe $250? Or would someone know of a used one for sale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I bought one and later sold it without any problems.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you were trying to stuff a BBF or OHC in there, might be of value, but don't see the point for a 302. What are you trying to clear or fabricate?
    Go ahead and drop your motor in, with the body off you can put it in and take it out in less than 15 minutes, by yourself. Did it many times during the build and while fabbing Footbox mods and heat shields.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to agree with Mark "MPTech".

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The issue is space, small garage, I would need to move a lot of stuff out of the garage to get enough room for the engine hoist and chassis. I am thinking about just buying one and re-selling it. For me, it would be a time and back saver.

I am trying to maximize interior space and fabricating engine brackets, it would be nice to be able to pull it in or out a few times without worrying about clearing out the garage and moving everything around, which is like playing a giant game of tetris.

I am thinking about buying the engine, then reselling it after I'm done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one. Using it to mockup the headers

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should be able to find one on EBAY.cheaper than summit. Super safe way to play with headers, different oil pans, etc. very nice in a cramped single garage bay. Easy to resell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those started in KC and are made by Dean Ayres at P-Ayr products. Dean used to have a salvage yard here and he built the engine in my cousins race car around 1979.

When he injection molded the first one decades ago he would walk around the pits at our local drag strip KCIR with it up on one shoulder.
    The first ones were a sb chevy IIRC and the molded part was orange and looked very real so he got a lot of looks and started a lot of sales pitches that way.
    I'm with EH on this one, buy it use it and sell it when you are done. Fabbing headers would be much easier with one of those on hand.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    the cheapest I found one was summit, $349 shipped. I am going to order one today.

Post Thanks / Like
    No sure what you need to fabricate. Dropped the Coyote in first shot with starter, shorty headers, alternator, belts, TKO 600 etc. in place. The Coyote is about as tight as you will find outside of a few Ford BB specials. Wall clock was about 20 minutes till it was bolted in except for the trans mount which required going back up on jack stands to set it & drive shaft hoop.

Small block & Coyote side by side.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-20-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought one through Summit Racing today, I figure after Im done, I can resell it to the next person. Or maybe I rent it out to people who need it.

Like I said before, lack of room, is the reason i need it. It takes at least 6 feet of extra room to use my engine hoist. My usable work space is 10 x 16 with a chassis in the middle, this means I have 4 feet of working room on one the side and end of the chassis if I push it all the way to one side and end. If I opened the garage door and push the body buck out, my driveway drops 3 feet over 8 feet, which makes pushing anything back up the driveway a chore. Having a block I can lift in and out while fabricating will save me many hours.