Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What size Jack Stands....

Post Thanks / Like

What size Jack Stands....

I am curious as to what size jack stands you guys are using for your builds. I already have some 6 tonners for my truck. The minimum height is 15 inches. I'd like to use these but do you think they are too tall to begin with? In other words, I'd have to jack the Cobra up to 15 inches before it could be placed on a jack stand. Should I get smaller stands as kind of a step prior to the bigger stands?
    Hurricane HM-2016, 9" Ford w/3.50, 427W, TKO 600.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you have a jack that will reach high enough ---GO BIG!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a set of ramps up front first and then step up to the big boy jack stands. Takes a few tries until you get a system that works. I usually have to take a couple steps at each end until I am up on the jack stands.

Two sets of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9986_200349986
    One of these http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-62310.html
    A set of these http://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-1190.../dp/B006EGAIII
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 04-07-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I built some over the top, purpose built saw horses. They can be seen under the GoDadGo Gallery. They put the car roughly 23" off of the ground and they are way more stable than jack stands.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can budget them...MaxJax's are perfect for the average Joe who does not have 12' ceilings.
    I picked up a set on sale at Best Buy Automotive Equipment for $1600.00.
    They have many great features and can be put away when not in use!
    They will spoil you in a very short time too.
    I have used mine to sit my car on both ramps and jack stands (when I was working on the side pipes).
    The lift is a little spendy, but definitely something worth budgeting over time for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree with Jimbo1965! if you have the cash, get the Max Jax.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased and set up Quick Jack by Ranger Products. Half the cost of the Max Jax and does not need to be drilled into the floor. They are portable to some extent. My 818 has 3.5" of clearance and I am able to easily get them in and out. I just finished setting them up and spent all evening raising and lowering the car. I wish I obtained them earlier in my build.
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    15 inches is a lot of jack pumping. I would go one size down. I find that I don't like going that high in one step. The car is on too much of an angle and makes me nervous. Also, if you jack the front to that height first, then the jack won't fit under the gas tank.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Sitting it on ramps to pull the exhaust.
    https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...51672758_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1965 View Post
    Sitting it on ramps to pull the exhaust.
    https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...51672758_o.jpg
    Hey Jimbo1965,
    I've Got To Get A Max Jax System Because @ 6,000 LBS Capacity & 42" Of Height, I Can Pick Up Every Vehicle We Own.
    Would it be a problem to drill a couple of extra stop holes in between the two stop heights?
    Steve / aka: GoDadGo

Post Thanks / Like
    I used something a bit larger.....

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Hey Jimbo1965, I've Got To Get A Max Jax System Because @ 6,000 LBS Capacity & 42" Of Height, I Can Pick Up Every Vehicle We Own. Would it be a problem to drill a couple of extra stop holes in between the two stop heights? Steve / aka: GoDadGo
    I'm not Jimbo, but I have a MaxJax. And I've stayed at Holiday Inn. Personally I haven't found a need to have more stops than the two provided, but did a quick Google search and sure enough the question has been asked before and answered by MaxJax directly: "There are 2 stops on the MaxJax but you can drill holes for additional safety stops as long as they are 3 inches apart." In a follow-up question confirmed it wouldn't affect the warranty as long as the 3 inch spacing is maintained. The existing holes are 16 inches apart (just measured) so holes every 3 inches would sure add a number of stops.

I did nearly two builds on jack stands. Finished the last one and have done the current one fully on the MaxJax. The difference is more than I would have expected. Moving the chassis to a comfortable work height, working on a stool from underneath, not crawling around on the floor, etc. is massive. All due respect to products like the Ranger Quick Jack, they are still essentially the same as jack stands.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Edwardb, If my detached garage/workshop walls are at a minimum 14'6" with a cathedral ceiling, Max Jax may be perfect. I could possibly drill additional holes to add additional stops so I could comfortably walk under the car? Sound about right?

Chris, your height looks ideal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Edwardb, If my detached garage/workshop walls are at a minimum 14'6" with a cathedral ceiling, Max Jax may be perfect. I could possibly drill additional holes to add additional stops so I could comfortably walk under the car? Sound about right?
    Sorry, no. The maximum lift of the MaxJax is 48 inches. That's it. That's the extent of the lift mechanism. It has a safety stop at the top, and another roughly halfway down. The additional holes are to provide additional stops in between, but all below the top ones.

With that kind of height, you should be looking at a different lift. I have 10 foot ceilings in my garage, but the limiting factor is the garage door. I could modify the track so that it rolls up closer to the ceiling, but I wouldn't gain that much and would never have room for a full size lift. But 48 inches up is still light years better than jack stands. So for me it's perfect. I can roll under it sitting on a rolling mechanics seat.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies guys. While I would LOVE to have a set of pneumatic jacks I am going to eventually need to get a four post lift anyway to store the cobra over my DD. That will have to wait until sufficient fundulation occurs. Until then I am going to buy a smaller set of jack stands and I'll just lift the car up in steps. That was my biggest worry that lifting the car up to a minimum of 15" first may be to drastic and it seems to be that may be the case.
    Last edited by aarvig; 04-08-2016 at 10:01 PM.
    Hurricane HM-2016, 9" Ford w/3.50, 427W, TKO 600.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a new builder and have just ordered the MK4 Roadster... Has anyone worked or tried an Auto Rotisserie instead of Jack Stands or the lifts ?? I've talked to people who have restored cars and they seem to like them. I wonder how they would work when building a MK4 Roadster. Curious to get your advice.

Ruddy

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem w/ a rotisserie is the frame. All that tubing beyond the front of the 4 in main tubes is just strong enough to hold the body in place. In the rear the tubing beyond the rear ends of those 2x2s is pretty much the same-I think not strong enough to support the car.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Several instances of guys using a rotisserie over on the other forum. Often it seems with a pair of modified engine stands. But as CraigS said, the front and rear quick jack mounts (what's usually used) are not strong enough to hold the assembled car. Useful maybe for early assembly, painting or modifying the chassis, etc. But once the heavy stuff starts going on, needs to be held another way. Here are a couple threads with pictures. The ones of the Kirkham are cool.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...tml#post172921

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-question.html

Post Thanks / Like
    To make some space in the garage I got a backyard buddy 4 post lift and am building my 20th Anniversary kit using their "Easy Dolly" stands:
    http://backyardbuddy.com/backyard-bu...sy-access.html
    They are very solid, car is at a good height and I have the rolling body buck above it. Don't have the height benefit that the Max Jack guys have so it's similar to working with jack stands with the benefit you can roll the car around if needed and it's really solid.
    Here is a photo really early in the build with easy dolly and rolling body buck.
    IMG_3230.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post
    To make some space in the garage I got a backyard buddy 4 post lift and am building my 20th Anniversary kit using their "Easy Dolly" stands:
    http://backyardbuddy.com/backyard-bu...sy-access.html
    They are very solid, car is at a good height and I have the rolling body buck above it. Don't have the height benefit that the Max Jack guys have so it's similar to working with jack stands with the benefit you can roll the car around if needed and it's really solid.
    Here is a photo really early in the build with easy dolly and rolling body buck.
    IMG_3230.JPG
    Hi Paul:

I looked up the Easy Dolly stands on line. They look well built and very functional. A question. When building, do the cross members tying the wheel casters together, get in the way at all? That's the only issue I could see and assume you could move the Dolly around on the car if you're working in an area where they are in the way.

Thank You

Ruddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ruddy,

Yes very solid, and American made so that was a big plus for me. So far I haven't had any issues. I'm not at the engine / transmission stage just yet. But no issues with front/rear suspension and panels. Yes you can easily move them around. I sit a 2x4 across the tops and have the frame sit on that, this was the lowest I could get it so the rolling body buck has room to go over. (included a photo from the front so you could see). I'm deciding how to address the e-brake cables if I just go under or go above like some have done, this would be the only time so far I would have to move them as of yet. Comes with several adapters and can go higher. The one drawback I could see going forward is when you're done is storage, they are pretty big/heavy, I have a good spot so I'm ok, but certainly takes up a lot more room than the regular jacks...or maybe it forces you to start on another project!
    IMG_4058.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really all you need if you are looking for just stands. They only reach to 16 3/4" high. They are nice to throw under the car to do what you need. You don't need to raise the car that high to get them under.
    I have a few sets of stands at various heights and it seems I always reach for these first.
    JMHO, your mileage may vary.

http://www.napaonline.com/p/BK_7762001

Post Thanks / Like
    To tell you the truth, I do not think it would be an issue compromising the lift, but I would recommend seeking opinions from the manufacturer.
    Funny you should mention this though, as I thought several additional positions would sure be nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it low and use some cheep 3 ton jack stands. Most of the work is done leaning over the frame anyway.