BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which coupe for "creature comforts" (AC, PS, PW)

Post Thanks / Like

Which coupe for "creature comforts" (AC, PS, PW)

They're all nice cars... but to each their own, right?

I like coupes. I like the GTM Supercar, the 818C, and maybe the Type 65 Coupe.

I also like air conditioning, power steering, and power windows. I understand "deleting" (or never adding) those features for a track car, but I don't want a track car.

I'm trying to decide which car is the best starting point, for having those features, for an overall similar total price.

From what I understand, the GTM Supercar comes with AC and power windows. Power steering I don't know.

I don't think the 818 comes with any of those, right?

The Type 65 Coupe doesn't either (right?) but I think there are aftermarket options for AC.

So given that I like all three models, and want AC, power windows, and power steering, am I better off cost-wise going straight to the GTM, or could the 818 be equipped with those options for a similar (or lower) total price, or the Type 65 Coupe?

Style-wise I like the GTM best. But I do like smaller, lighter cars with FI, so there's the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupe:
    This kit comes ready to accept the Mustang's power steering pump and rack. You can even get a brand-new power steering rack from FFR. There's also an available option for an A/C and heater package from the company. Other vendors also make A/C systems for this kit. Unfortunately, there's currently no option for power windows. There have been a couple of builders who have successfully converted theirs to power windows, but it required many man-hours, along with heavy modifications to the door skins, door frames, and window frames.

GTM:
    This kit comes standard with power windows, and the A/C is optional. There's no option for power steering as it's not really necessary, due to its low front weight. You could always add an electric power steering motor, if you'd prefer steering assist.

818:
    This kit comes with power windows, as long as you order the coupe version. It does not come with power steering, for the same reason as the GTM. I'm not sure about the A/C system. The last I heard it was being developed, but this was quite a long time ago. It's still not showing as an option on their site. Maybe someone else could chime in with the answer, or you could simply call FFR.

As far as preference goes, only you can decide which kit to build. Just know that if you're a first-time builder, and you plan to build it yourself, take into consideration your mechanical, electrical, and general engineering skills. The GTM is by far the most complicated kit to build, not to mention, the most expensive. The 818 is the least expensive, and depending on who you ask, the easiest to build. The Coupe is an intermediate kit, in regards of price and difficulty. Hope this helps.

Carlos
    Last edited by Carlos C; 08-12-2016 at 01:51 AM.
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Carlos, it does help. The 818C is looking better, then, if an AC option can be made to work. Yeah, I suppose power steering isn't a requirement if the ratio is right for the car. It's just been a long time since I've driven one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wmorrison65 View Post

I'm trying to decide which car is the best starting point, for having those features, for an overall similar total price.
    There's no way that these cars will ever get to "an overall similar total price". A properly built and painted GTM will set you back $80-90K. A Type 65, again well outfitted and painted, $50-60K. An 818, and I'm guessing on this one, $30-40K.

Personally I think you need to choose which is more important - the power windows, or the AC. If the former, 818; if the latter, Type 65. You can certainly equip the Type 65 with all the bells and whistles including fuel injection (but barring power windows).
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is one way to get ALL of your requirements - coupe, AC, PS, PW, FI - and that is with the 33 hot rod. Kinda ironic that the car that replicates the oldest vehicle can be outfitted with the most modern conveniences, but it's true...
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a Superformance coupe.

The Nut

Post Thanks / Like
    My 818C has power windows, power steering and air conditioning. The coupe kit includes power windows. For power steering, I just had 2 longer hoses made and used the donor rack and pump. For AC, I used the donor compressor and added the other parts from Vintage Air. If you want more features you can use the donor cruise control and ABS, as I did. All these systems are outlined in the 818 forum or PM me..
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).