FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on By-The-Book Builds

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    By-the-book in my mind is to purchase a complete kit and build per the assembly manual using all or most of the kit parts.
    It just goes to show you that everyone has their own interpretation of what it is. I first started looking at the factory fives back in the late 90's, at that time I remember seeing a few base kit cars using I gen fox mustang parts, pretty much stock, even using the 15" mustang gt turbine wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    I can understand for autocross. But on a track, I can't see it making a huge difference since these are not very heavy cars.
    Reducing overall driver workload would be my first thought. The cars are not heavy but can still be very tiring when driven at race speeds for any long period of time. Auto-X is over pretty quickly.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    I can understand for autocross. But on a track, I can't see it making a huge difference since these are not very heavy cars.
    I will tell you from personal experience that even with power steering when at speed on a road course steering effort increases exponentially. IMO it would be difficult to "keep up" with the car effectively with a manual rack. A byproduct of the additional caster that PS allows is more camber gain when turning.

Jeff

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I will tell you from personal experience that even with power steering when at speed on a road course steering effort increases exponentially. IMO it would be difficult to "keep up" with the car effectively with a manual rack. A byproduct of the additional caster that PS allows is more camber gain when turning.

Jeff
    Jeff,

Any thoughts about the Electric Power Steering option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    If you decide to do a Dark Side Chevy Build, then please go to the website shown below:

www.gpsconnection.com

Randy's motor mount locations were spot on and were a great help to me.
    I'll be keeping mine Ford, but I've seen some interesting LS Cobra videos on YouTube.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I'll be keeping mine Ford, but I've seen some interesting LS Cobra videos on YouTube.
    Doing a FORD build is easier and just makes good sense since no fabrication is required plus you catch less flack!

The LS engine can be adapted to the stock mounts since the engine mounts sit further back (middle of block) and doesn't have a distibutor poking out the back of the block like the SBC & BBC power plants.
    Pace Performance sells several LS engines and even one with a distributor in the front that really looks like it could be a Ford piece.

Good Luck & Have A Great Build!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-24-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Jeff,

Any thoughts about the Electric Power Steering option?
    I have not driven an electric over hydraulic roadster (i.e. Fast Freddie's system) but would think that it should act just like an engine driven pump. A friend built an FE powered Mk4 with electric assist and asked me to take it for a drive...I honestly didn't like it. It felt kind of spooky, almost as if the wheel wanted to take itself from my hands. He subsequently crashed the car twice (nearly killing himself the first time and totaling the car the second time). Coincidence???

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I have not driven an electric over hydraulic roadster (i.e. Fast Freddie's system) but would think that it should act just like an engine driven pump. A friend built an FE powered Mk4 with electric assist and asked me to take it for a drive...I honestly didn't like it. It felt kind of spooky, almost as if the wheel wanted to take itself from my hands. He subsequently crashed the car twice (nearly killing himself the first time and totaling the car the second time). Coincidence???

Jeff
    If I add power steering down the road I'll just have to add a restrictor to the GM style pump so that it works well with the Ford Rack.

Power Steering Flow Control Valve: JEGS Performance Part Number: 555-60791

> Steering Flow Control Valve Fits most GM Saginaw-Style Power Steering Pumps Recommended for:
    > GM Saginaw-Style Power Steering Pumps using Ford Mustang & T-Bird Style Rack & Pinion
    > Use with:5/8"-18 Inverted Flare or -06 AN High Pressure Hoses

Thanks-O-Million!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-24-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    1. Modifying the PS foot box to get more room .. i have been a passenger in a car with the standard foot box and it is painful;
    Carl, Is there a thread or reference that explains how to modify the PS foot box to get more room? This is a great point. I want people like wife and friends to want to ride with me and I don't want them to be uncomfortable.

Thanks.
    Juan
    St Louis, MO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    ...One thing I would spend a lot of time on (and not much money) would be water proofing.
    Craig, same question, is there a thread or reference that explains how to water proof/seal the foot boxes?

Thanks.
    Juan
    St Louis, MO

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The MK-4 foot box is a lot bigger than the earlier models.
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and I fit just fine.
    If you wife is taller me, then you may want to modify it to increase the length.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 12-24-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by juanfmc View Post
    Carl, Is there a thread or reference that explains how to modify the PS foot box to get more room? This is a great point. I want people like wife and friends to want to ride with me and I don't want them to be uncomfortable.

Thanks.
    Juan
    St Louis, MO
    Each of the Mk's over the years has expanded both footboxes. I can personally vouch for the increased space between a Mk3 and Mk4. Especially on the passenger side. Huge difference between a Mk3 and Mk4 on that side. FF has made continuous improvements and the most recent Mk4 has even more space than early Mk4's and is pretty much maxed out on the driver's side for even the widest engines. There isn't much more that can be done there. For the passenger side, there might be a little space to be gained. But it's entirely dependent on the engine and header setup you install.

On my Mk4 #7750 with a SBF and BBK headers, I did a pretty well known PS footbox mod. It's a couple inches deeper and an inch or so wider. It's nice, but it's not a small amount of work to cut and fit several new aluminum panels. Plus the standard carpet pieces don't fit any more.

For my current build with a Coyote, I did look at the possibility to also expand the PS footbox. But the gains possible with the Coyote are pretty minimal, plus doesn't help with the already tight access to the headers. So I went with the stock setup. I don't consider the stock PS space "uncomfortable." Tight maybe, but it's not terrible. You won't need to apologize to your passengers. They'll be fine. These aren't typically long distance cross country cruisers. The best thing you could do is see one in person and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-24-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123