Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wipers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JRL16 View Post
    I'm in the process of installing mine now. I've had an issue with clearance on the underside of the body with the post gear boxes. Edwardb recommended beveling the upper edge. That helped some but with the bedliner under there it just wasn't quite enough. So I bit the bullet and ordered the finish line post gear boxes and top pieces. Not cheap but the posts are longer and gives the needed clearance. Now if someone could tell me what plastic tubing is used to route the cable through that would help. The tubing from FFR doesn't work in my flaring tool. Just pushes it out. Got some steel fuel line and that works well but want to try the plastic tubing just see if it's any better.
    Sorry you couldn't get the supplied boxes to work out. I've used the ********** ones before too and they're nice. Interesting that they're different than the FF ones. I've never compared them side-by-side. But then my FF wiper kits had parts from different suppliers each time.

Agreed the tubing FF supplies in their latest wiper kits isn't usable. Appears to be stainless and not annealed. I couldn't get a flare in it either. Even clamped as tight as possible in my Eastwood flaring tool.

I use plain old 5/16 steel brake line from NAPA. It bends and flares easily. Make sure the ends where you flare aren't constricting the openings. I touch them with a round file and the cable fits and slides perfectly. Load the cable up with white lithium grease during final assembly and they work fine.

Last edited by edwardb; 05-17-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.