Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Under Door Aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Under Door Aluminum

I am about to install the Under Door Aluminum and am not sure of the exact position for the vertical edge. Does it slide under the door opening and rest on the inside of the body, or does it rest at the edge of the body at the door?

Post Thanks / Like
    It does slip under the body slightly at that point. That is why they are the last pieces of aluminum to be fastened, and only after the body is on. You can then judge their mounting point.
    You'll want to tuck the carpet under the body as well. If I was to do it again, I would see if I could add a thin bulb type seal, ( or some sort of rubber edging) to the aluminum edge, where it touches the body to help create a seal, as well as to prevent the aluminum from rubbing the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 3.1 and found it difficult to get the aluminum under the body due to some large bumps in the fiberglass under the lip. I ended up grinding alot of the aluminum vertical wall away, I think if I started over I would clean up this edge on the fiberglass with a dremel tool first. You need to get it past the inner lip of the fiberglass at least 3/8" so you can run the carpet up the vertical sections of the aluminum and still get the Black Aluminum/Vinyl trim strip to install down on top of the lip without catching the carpet. I ran a bead of Silicone under the Body before I installed the door aluminum to stop noise/abrasion against the body and to seal it up...not sure there is room for a bulb seal, the carpet and still be able to get the trim on. If you body gets mounted too low on one side, it makes it a ***** to install this piece, ask me how I know. I had to slit it every few inches and bend it down to fit under the body. Car had hidden mounts installed by SRP so this was the only option left, also made the clearance to the top of the driver seatback non existent on that side.
    Mk 3.1 #6616 Complete Kit, July 2008 Start, Gromm Racing 347, TKO 500, IRS, Carmine Red / Wimbleton White
    Mk 3.1 #6756 Complete Kit, May 2016 kit completion, Smeding Alum. 427 Stack Injection, TKO600, Custom Silver/Blue (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Question as I have not done this yet. SHould I wait until the body is done, or can I put it on now. I currently have the body on but not done. I plan to drive her around this summer to work out any kinks and then have the body done over the winter. Still not sure if it will be done, with body on or off. so should I wait until I do the body or can I put the under door aluminum now.

also, any pics would be welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can install them now before final paint is done.

But I would wait till you have;
    A- the doors on and initially fitted
    B- windshield on.
    C- front splash shields in place.

You may need to shim the body lower side mounting bolts, so the body aligns better with the door shell at the bottom of the door. In doing this it will change the position of the sill aluminum as to where it will be riveted onto the under door framing. Do it to soon, and you may have a gap, or, it will possibly be to tight to move the body inward if need be.(To line up with
    the door bottoms). The windshield plays a roll in how the body will sit, as do the front wheel splash shields. You can then
    finish off the carpet install in this area as well.
    Basically, you want the body to be fitted the same now, as when after it is painted.

Since your going to be pulling the body off for paint later, I wouldn't use the silicone to seal those panels at this point, (as SJDave suggested) or it will be tough to pull the body. Do that after paint, and body is on for the last time.

You can see a picture of those underdoor panels fitted in this thread. Pictured are the later ones which I presume you have.
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-question.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks AC,... Very helpful
    my doors are on and pretty fitted.
    my windshield is on
    have yet to place my front splash panels. to be honest I had the same question about those as I did about the under door aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine didn't fit at all, lots of trimming and fitting.
    FFR 7216 MK 4 Non Donor Street Legal 06/13/11 at 4:30 pm! Graduation 1/1/2012
    3 Link Ford Racing 3.73 8.8 Posi with Yukon Axles.
    4 wheel discs Brembo rotors and Hawk HP plus pads.
    Ford Racing 302 340 HP T5Z 5 Speed Stainless Headers and Side Pipes.
    Holley 670 Street Avenger on Edelbrock Performer RPM. MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
    Delivered 04/11/10 7:30 pm Roller 05/08/10 Engine installed 08/07/10 First Start 02/19/11

Post Thanks / Like
    I would wait till the body is painted and on, you could always in mock up position and drill them, and then just rivit when the body is on. Also, on mine I thought the aluminum was in line with the edge of the body, and then the U channel supplied by Factory Five goes over top to clean up the edge. I used the aluminum angle pieces from Dark Water in place of the U channel.

-Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011