Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's 818R build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Retro-- that is an awesome shifter. Cool bell crank, too!

Daniels-- I am using a shoulder bolt, exactly what you have there. It doesn't ride perfectly on the shoulder, and slightly backs out or tightens the bolt.

Glyn-- I would need a longer shoulder screw, which isn't a big deal of course. Flanged bearing is a cool idea that I did not think of. If the straight bearing I ordered doesn't work, that'll be what I do. I imagine(hope) the bearing will work well

I ordered a small bearing (1/4" ID and I think 5/8" OD) to insert in there, like Craig uses in his, but I might try what you guys suggested before it gets here and use a long bolt with an unthreaded section on it with a lock washer. I assume just making a 5/8" hole and using LocTite will keep this bearing in place in the aluminum arm?

Chad- believe me, I know. I think one was due to the axle nut not being tight enough (at least I have to guess that's why it failed so quickly), and when I replaced that hub, I never did a new bearing, just slapped the hub on and went.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I see now the screw does have a larger shorter head of a shoulder screw (compared to a cap screw). From your description I thought you were using a bolt with an unthreaded shoulder which is the same diameter as the thread (some people refer to those as shoulder bolts). Anyway, can you fully tighten the shoulder screw and still have the arm turn freely?
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielsDM View Post
    I see now the screw does have a larger shorter head of a shoulder screw (compared to a cap screw). From your description I thought you were using a bolt with an unthreaded shoulder which is the same diameter as the thread (some people refer to those as shoulder bolts). Anyway, can you fully tighten the shoulder screw and still have the arm turn freely?
    Nope, that's my problem in essence, I guess. If I tighten the screw enough where it won't slop around left to right, it won't rotate nicely
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Then you need to increase the depth of the counterbore under the head of the screw until the arm rotates freely when the screw is tight. There will be a little of side to side free play depending on how precisely you clearance it. You can add a wave spring to take up the free play. www.mcmaster.com/#90134a031/=15nycaf
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I did for my linkage:

Bushing X-SEC.jpgIMAG1397.jpg

Two Rulon J sleeve bushings (McMaster P/N: 6377K107) around a bronze sleeve (McMaster P/N: 6381K428) on a 5/16-18 socket head cap screw. Then just drill a 1/2" hole in the bell crank so it can rotate about the bushings. Also, make sure the bell crank thickness is thin enough (mine was 1/2" thick) to not bind between the bushings when the SHCS is tightened (the bronze sleeve acts as a hard stop).

A roller ball bearing is also a great way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that set up STiPWRD, well thought out. In racing, ive always tried to stay away from single shear points when ever possible, hence our use of two thinner pieces rather than one thick piece, but it probably doesn't matter in this case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a nice setup STiPWRD. Those parts look beautiful.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, credit for the original linkage design goes to Matteo92065. I just redrew his drawings and modified a few things (like the bushing pivot area). Retro, I agree about the double shear and if I had to re-do the linkage, I'd incorporate that. I was trying to keep the parts really simple so they could be made from 1/2" aluminum. So far, it seems to work very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm embarrassed by the looks of mine. But I do like going into the side of the transmission.
    Instead of adding a bracket, I used on of the transmission through hole as my pivot point.
    Bob
    P1050696.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 12-28-2016 at 03:38 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Here's what I did for my linkage:

Bushing X-SEC.jpgIMAG1397.jpg

Two Rulon J sleeve bushings (McMaster P/N: 6377K107) around a bronze sleeve (McMaster P/N: 6381K428) on a 5/16-18 socket head cap screw. Then just drill a 1/2" hole in the bell crank so it can rotate about the bushings. Also, make sure the bell crank thickness is thin enough (mine was 1/2" thick) to not bind between the bushings when the SHCS is tightened (the bronze sleeve acts as a hard stop).

A roller ball bearing is also a great way to go.
    holy CRAP that is pretty. Did you machine that by hand??? That looks like what Hindsight did, to me. That idea is probably easier to install than a roller bearing like I'm going to try

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I'm embarrassed by the looks of mine. But I do like going into the side of the transmission.
    Instead of adding a bracket, I used on of the transmission through hole as my pivot point.
    Bob
    P1050696.jpg
    Bob, that's a great idea. How do you like how it feels?
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had the opportunity to drive Bob and Michaels car, IMO the shifter feels and works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    holy CRAP that is pretty. Did you machine that by hand??? That looks like what Hindsight did, to me. That idea is probably easier to install than a roller bearing like I'm going to try
    Thanks, I ended up finding a local machine shop that gave me a really good rate to machine the parts so I went with that, but my back-up plan was to make them by hand. They're simple enough that you could probably get 90% of the look and functionality of the machined parts. Another reason I had them machined was that I cut out the back of my rear bumper for my dual exhaust so that area will get lots of visibility. If I had waited another year, I would've just gotten Craig's linkage since it was slightly cheaper.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually didn't machine mine. Cut the alum with a table saw, and for the inside edges of the bellcrank I cut it with a cordless jigsaw. I used a belt sander to clean up edges, then used sandpaper followed by scotchbright pad to get the smooth machined look. Can't take credit for the idea though... it came from DMC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to jump aside, but... where the hell is your bumper?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    Thanks, I ended up finding a local machine shop that gave me a really good rate to machine the parts so I went with that, but my back-up plan was to make them by hand. They're simple enough that you could probably get 90% of the look and functionality of the machined parts. Another reason I had them machined was that I cut out the back of my rear bumper for my dual exhaust so that area will get lots of visibility. If I had waited another year, I would've just gotten Craig's linkage since it was slightly cheaper.
    Craig's is the backup plan for me, but this way is free (and fun!), albeit MUCH longer to do

Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    I actually didn't machine mine. Cut the alum with a table saw, and for the inside edges of the bellcrank I cut it with a cordless jigsaw. I used a belt sander to clean up edges, then used sandpaper followed by scotchbright pad to get the smooth machined look. Can't take credit for the idea though... it came from DMC.
    DMC? I know you didn't "machine" it, but you hand made it. Very impressive work for not using a mill!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    I have had the opportunity to drive Bob and Michaels car, IMO the shifter feels and works great.
    That's inspiring! I hate the stock shifter's feel. Worse than my '93 F 150's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Sorry to jump aside, but... where the hell is your bumper?
    haha, Frank, it's across the garage, out of my way
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found this pic from earlier this year in my car, turn 7 at NYST. I -knew- I got air there! Without a passenger I bet it's even better (plus I push harder)!

Frank - Build thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice shot! At that angke, it looks like your passenger is surrendering.

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to post these! Bearing = gooooooooooood. SO smooth.

Also, my trans is finally done! Big bill, but it has a Quaife LSD now, new bearings all around, a new shaft, and is nicely sealed.
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    SO! Big reason why race car progress has slowed and why it will continue to be slow- I am moving! Asheville, NC, here I come!

I'm going to be New Belgium Brewing's new process automation engineer, and I couldn't be happier about it. That said, it's REALLY slowing race car progress. But it'll have good long term benefits in that regard- really long track season!
    Frank - Build thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank HUGE congrats on the job!!!! I have never been to Asheville but I hear it is incredibly beautiful and an amazing place to live. Make sure you get a place with a spare bedroom so I can come up there and stay whenever I want lol.

From Asheville:
    VIR is only 3.5 hours drive
    Atlanta Motorsports Park is 3 hours drive
    Road Atlanta is 2.5 hours
    I'm sure there are many more but these are the tracks I either race at or will be racing at sop hopefully we will get the chance to race together at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    That thing looks awesome!

Why a small section is ground off?

Speaking of bearings, did you fix your wheel bearing issue?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank HUGE congrats on the job!!!! I have never been to Asheville but I hear it is incredibly beautiful and an amazing place to live. Make sure you get a place with a spare bedroom so I can come up there and stay whenever I want lol.

From Asheville:
    VIR is only 3.5 hours drive
    Atlanta Motorsports Park is 3 hours drive
    Road Atlanta is 2.5 hours
    I'm sure there are many more but these are the tracks I either race at or will be racing at sop hopefully we will get the chance to race together at some point.
    Congrats Frank,
    Don't forget about "The Snake" about 1.5 hours away. I drive through Ashville a couple times a year. I did a project there for Schwitzer Turbo Chargers (BorgWarner) back in the 80's. Nice town with very friendly people.
    Bob

http://www.421thesnake.com/

http://www.thesnake421.com/

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/70....YU1zVg2p.dpbs
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    And Tail of the Dragon not far away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Frank, Asheville is beautiful and a short trip to visit NCM Motorsports Park.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news on the job. I am a few years out from living in Woodruff, SC, when I retire from my job in CA. Woodruff is near Greenville/Spartanburg. I was hoping to spend time at Carolina Motorsports park, but sounds like we'll all be just a few hours from each other and can arrange some outings....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    And Tail of the Dragon not far away!
    Such a very nice place!! Too bad I had to ride 2/3 of it under rain.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a super exciting update, but it's proof that I'm still alive! I've hit a few tracks via 2-wheels. Sold the truck, trailer, and WRX for.....

My new truck! 2017 F-150, V8, 3.55 locking rear. Should tow well, fit bikes in the bed. It drives like a dream compared to the 1993. I have BOTH F-150 window stickers, if anyone wants to see the difference 24 model years makes!

Have ~1 month to buy a new trailer, drive up to NY to grab the goods, and find somewhere down here to put them :/ the race is on! Excited to have the beautiful weather and track access of the south. But for now.....no new work!
    Frank - Build thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, congrats Frank! Looks very similar to my truck. I see you got the FX4 version? I went with a 2WD "Sport" version because I don't need 4WD down here in Hotlanta.

What type and size of trailer are you getting? Around here, used enclosed trailers are pretty expensive. I see most of them advertised for new prices, or $500 below new. I still need a trailer too, but that might be a ways out for me yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a super exciting update, but it's proof that I'm still alive!
    Yeah I was about to post on your thread saying you totally forgot about all of us!

Have ~1 month to buy a new trailer, drive up to NY to grab the goods, and find somewhere down here to put them :/
    You moved?

What's the torque of that beast?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, congrats Frank! Looks very similar to my truck. I see you got the FX4 version? I went with a 2WD "Sport" version because I don't need 4WD down here in Hotlanta.

What type and size of trailer are you getting? Around here, used enclosed trailers are pretty expensive. I see most of them advertised for new prices, or $500 below new. I still need a trailer too, but that might be a ways out for me yet.
    I got a hella good deal on the truck, as my last company made the aluminum (X-Plan discount). It's a 2wd XL, STX appearance package got me the color matched bumper!

Local trailer I'm highly considering:
    http://www.wowcargotrailers.com/products.php?id=136

Yeah I was about to post on your thread saying you totally forgot about all of us!

You moved?

What's the torque of that beast?
    Just under 400 ft*lb. Less than the Ecoboost 3.5 but sounds soooooo good
    I did! Asheville, NC! Making beer now. It's heaven! Hit VIR last weekend on a whim
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielsDM View Post
    Nice!
    Thanks!
    Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaaah, Nashville... sorry Asheville! I went there on my bike trip couple of years ago, not too far from the Blue Ridge and Tail of the Dragon!
    Frank

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow you aren't too far from me now. Hopefully we will run some track events together soon. You should come down to Road Atlanta sometime. Lots of tracks down here. I wouldn't say it's an ideal track for the 818 though, since the slowest corner on the track is like 70mph and the track highly favors mega-HP cars. It's fun though, and the low turn count makes it easy to learn to perfect the corners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaaah, Nashville... sorry Asheville! I went there on my bike trip couple of years ago, not too far from the Blue Ridge and Tail of the Dragon!
    Done some of both already. So awesome! Can't wait to have the 818 down here for more fun need a bike too....

Wow you aren't too far from me now. Hopefully we will run some track events together soon. You should come down to Road Atlanta sometime. Lots of tracks down here. I wouldn't say it's an ideal track for the 818 though, since the slowest corner on the track is like 70mph and the track highly favors mega-HP cars. It's fun though, and the low turn count makes it easy to learn to perfect the corners.
    Hell yeah! I was gonna come to Atlanta this weekend but I-85 collapsed and it's gonna be a disaster traffic-wise. I can't wait to have the car down here
    Frank - Build thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    You shouldn't be impacted by the I85 collapse because that is near down-town and Road Atlanta is actually quite a ways North of town.... as in, 45 minutes or so North of Atlanta. You shouldn't be impacted.

Let me know when you come down!

Post Thanks / Like
    So, got a whole tow rig setup at this point. Mega shoutout to Keith for the trailer and the hospitality! I just got to NY Tuesday night and want to leave either Saturday or Sunday. Hurriedly assembling the 818 (and the rest of my life)

Frank - Build thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME trailer! 24'?

Post Thanks / Like
    You bet!

So, anyone think this is a problem? Doesn't look right to me.....

Frank - Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pix of your "new" 818?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys--

Been a while. About 6 months since I really had my hands all up in the 818; about a year since I made any good progress. A move, selling my 2 DDs for a different one, a new job, lotta motorcycle stuff, and I'm finally "settled" enough to dive in. So this weekend I stopped making excuses and did just that.

-I took the rear end off
    -I did a rear wheel bearing and lower bushings(they kinda needed it)
    -Mounted the clocked turbo (thanks Craig!) and started looking at what I'm up against in terms of intercooler plumbing

Some interesting things:

Had to break the little connection between the coolant goes-inta and the coolant goes-outta so I could rotate the upper one to get around the turbo inlet.

Plumbing nightmare in there between turbo and AOS. Time for some cleanup and prolly relocation of the AOS

Also, noticed my oil return from the turbo isn't super pretty. That's sad.
    Frank - Build thread

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast