Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body install - mounting bolts

Post Thanks / Like

Body install - mounting bolts

Do you seriously have to remove the gas tank in order to install the body and the mounting bolts??? If so, why can't someone take 10 minutes to re-design this so that a nut is welded to the back side of the frame?

The gas tank is a pain in the butt to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which model FFR are you referring to?

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're refering to the Roadster, many just use threaded rod and two nuts. You might have to enlarge the hold in the trunk aluminum, but it's very doable. I've had mine on and off several times....no need to drop the tank.
    FFR 6203 Roadster, Full EFI 302 w/TrickFlow Top End Kit, IRS, Insured, Inspected, Tagged and Titled, Paint and Interior done...just buttoning up the details!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is the MK4 Roadster. The driver side of the tank isn't too bad to get the bolt off. The passenger side is harder because it is pulling the bolt at an angle. It would just be a lot easier for everyone if FFR welded a nut on the frame to solve this with future builds (starting on the chassis' today).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to replace stripped nuts when they are welded in place.... They seem to strip alot easier after they have been welded too.

From my experience anyway...
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Once the body is dropped on the Mk3 takes some finageling but the Mk4 is nearly impossible to reach due to the frame reconfiguration to allow the dropped tail. One option is to work from above through an access panel cut into the trunk floor. On the Mk4 I just finished I had already carpeted the trunk so I used 3/4" long bolts from the tank side threaded into 1 1/2" long coupler nuts on the back of the chassis. That provides threads to recieve either bolts or all thread inserted fron the rear.

Cheers,
    Jeff