Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 2018 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

Our annual Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run date is coming up Saturday, September 15th. Who’s in?

Tail of the Dragon = 318 curves in 11 miles
    Cherohala Skyway = 43 miles of God's Country that leaves no doubt as to why it was registered a National Scenic Byway

Same schedule as years past (GPS “addresses” for anyone meeting along the way):

05:45 Charlotte-area group departs Sheetz gas station at I-77, Exit 42 (1023 Charlotte Hwy, Troutman, NC 28166)

08:00 Arrive Cracker Barrel I-40, Exit 44 (depart there ~09:00) (5 Crowell Rd Asheville, NC 28806)

10:00 Stop for refueling at Smokey Man Bait & Tackle (4470 US-19, Bryson City, NC 28713)

11:00 Arrive Fontana Dam Visitor’s Center (“Fontana Dam and Visitors Center, Stecoah NC”)

Catch up with the TN, SC & GA folks we haven’t seen since last year. Run the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and maybe catch a few waterfalls.

Some of us will stay overnight in Robbinsville and run the Hwy 28 “Moonshiner” and/or a waterfalls route Sunday before heading back home.

Hope you can make it. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Larry

2. Likes SliderJack, FLPBFoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been in subarus, an rx8, a solstice, and most recently in a rental suv. Love it up there and will be going as soon as the toaster is complete. Have fun everyone, but stay safe. I've had to rescue too many wrecks there ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys do this each year? I have heard nothing but good things about that drive and would love to do it when I finish my car someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Weather is still looking okay for Saturday. Looking like some slight Florence affect here starting Sunday. Have fun if I don't see you out there! Rod run this week in Pigeon Forge as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are great roads and I had a blast on my Harley riding down there.Hoping to get back down there this fall in my 33 Hot Rod.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Do you guys do this each year? I have heard nothing but good things about that drive and would love to do it when I finish my car someday.

Yes, we shoot for the 3rd Saturday in September each year. It doesn't take much twisting of arms to get many of us up there any given time of the year though, so don't wait to let us know when the car's finished!

Post Thanks / Like
    Due to the effects of a very inconsiderate hurricane, we'll postpone the annual ride until Saturday, September 29th.

Hope you all stay safe, and I'll still hope to see many of you then.

20180929 TOTD run.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote cruiser View Post
    Our annual Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run date is coming up Saturday, September 15th. Who’s in?

Tail of the Dragon = 318 curves in 11 miles
    Cherohala Skyway = 43 miles of God's Country that leaves no doubt as to why it was registered a National Scenic Byway

Same schedule as years past (GPS “addresses” for anyone meeting along the way):

05:45 Charlotte-area group departs Sheetz gas station at I-77, Exit 42 (1023 Charlotte Hwy, Troutman, NC 28166)

08:00 Arrive Cracker Barrel I-40, Exit 44 (depart there ~09:00) (5 Crowell Rd Asheville, NC 28806)

10:00 Stop for refueling at Smokey Man Bait & Tackle (4470 US-19, Bryson City, NC 28713)

11:00 Arrive Fontana Dam Visitor’s Center (“Fontana Dam and Visitors Center, Stecoah NC”)

Catch up with the TN, SC & GA folks we haven’t seen since last year. Run the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and maybe catch a few waterfalls.

Some of us will stay overnight in Robbinsville and run the Hwy 28 “Moonshiner” and/or a waterfalls route Sunday before heading back home.

Hope you can make it. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Larry
    Great run! Did these roads on the Harley a few years ago. Once we move to Knoxville in a couple years will join your guys in our Roadster.

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    Great run! Did these roads on the Harley a few years ago. Once we move to Knoxville in a couple years will join your guys in our Roadster.

Steve
    We'll be looking forward to it!