I'd like to chime in as a low hp stock 302 w/ 3.08 rear.

I was getting caught up in the higher HP feeling when starting my build. But realized that if I don't have a stock starting point, I won't have anywhere to go up. And if the starting point was enough for Ford to call it a Mustang GT, who am I to decide I need more HP for a car that's 1,000 lbs lighter with a tighter wheel base? So I stayed stock to learn the car.

Having the low hp / low torque has saved my Inexperienced Butt. Twice.

One beautiful day I was "needing" to get out in front of traffic as I turned right onto a 4 lane road as the light turned green for the traffic I was jetting out in front of. Pressed the gas, and away I went like a rocket while changing lanes to go around a slow bus on the right. The car pressed me in the back of the seat as I listened to my favorite rev range in 2nd gear. I shifted to third, and moved to the right lane to cruise.

It wasn't until I passed the bus and made my way back in the right lane did I realize that THAT was one of the scenarios where I would have put it in the ditch if I had excessive (for me) HP in my car. I didn't think before I hit the gas, I just did it.

That lack of thought and knowledge is what could have put me in the grass. I would have been surprised by the excessive torque that I'm not used to driving, and unable to handle or correct what I had just done. Having the low end saved me. I still need to learn how to drive and respect the car before adding my extra HP.

Best Regards,
Dave