Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Handling characteristics of the FFR Roadster on-track

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chitty chitty bang bang View Post
    Thanks Jim! Yes, apples to oranges between a tired MkII and a current challenge car. I'm posting here to ask about the MK4 roadster, not the challenge car, but am posting here as the fine folks here presumably have more track experience.

What I'm simply trying to get at is - I'm looking to get into a street 289 coyote project with the 3 link and the konis and anticipate track days. You guys have evolved an amazing platform over the years, enough for me to late-night window shop over the course of practically the last 2 decades.

What whould I expect with regard to handling characteristics? What key points would you communicate to someone before they hop in and warm up with a few laps?

Lastly, the 3-link seems to be pushed on the website marketing as the de facto choice for the track - how would you compare it to the IRS in that application?
    I can not speak on the IRS setup, but I can speak on behalf of the 3 link on a MKIII challenge car, coming from a spec Miata (that I later supercharged for SM2).

The Miata, especially the spec package is a neutral balanced momentum car that like late turn in, a small amount of angle, and heavy application of the throttle early on.

The challenge cars are tail heavy, and can oversteer even on light throttle. They have a lot of torque to go with that, but they can also really put the power down effectively with throttle discipline. The upgraded front suspension really improved the turn in and initial bite. So you can turn in early or late, then control the nose rotation with the throttle. Its similar to a 911 in that aspect. The 3 link is still a live axle, so uneven pavement can unsettle it a bit, but it usually recovers quickly. On a smooth surface it can usually out accelerate similar HP car from apex to exit. They can also carry a lot of speed into the turn as long as you keep it balance. They seem to enjoy bigger slip angles, and can put on an impressive drift while remaining predictable as long as you maintain that throttle discipline mentioned earlier.

Bottom line: They are quick, well handing and really reward smooth inputs. Its funny that even when the Challenge cars only has 200-210 HP they were as quick as the CMC, GS and GT cars.
    Last edited by mhoward1; 07-11-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042