Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MkIV Rear Cockpit Body Triming

Post Thanks / Like

MkIV Rear Cockpit Body Triming

Looking for advice on how much is actually trimmed off the body at the rear cockpit wall ? Anyone have a picture of the clearance between the body and sheetmetal ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Racee75 View Post
    Looking for advice on how much is actually trimmed off the body at the rear cockpit wall ? Anyone have a picture of the clearance between the body and sheetmetal ?
    I trim them back to the highest point in the roll,with the body upside down. Take as much off as you can without shortening the height of the roll into the wall. Does that make sense? You will be happy to have as much room as you get.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with FFinisher. I do the same thing on the front also. If you do have any gaps you really can't see them with the body on. Don't want the dash touching the body if you can help it and the carpet and any insulation on the rear wall will need room behind the body roll.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would strongly recommend having the body on the car first so you can mark the body. All the ones I have seen the initial clearance can vary from zero to 3/8 inch from left end to right end. And it is usually a quite wavy edge. Maybe not quite as important on the rear but I would want a consistent gap all the way across the dash.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    you do have the weather stripping on the rear cockpit end pieces when putting on the body when considering trimming, yes??

I wouldn't know anything about the trimming, but I'd think you would want to have all items which will affect the placement of the body in place for consideration.
    Last edited by DadofThree; 08-28-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks... yes the body is in place and bulb seal is in position. Just trying to clearance this rolled edge for the carpet prior to the body work being done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    I trim them back to the highest point in the roll,with the body upside down. Take as much off as you can without shortening the height of the roll into the wall. Does that make sense? You will be happy to have as much room as you get.

I do front and rear just like that.....ya gots ta have a bit of wiggle room...da Ba