Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In tank fuel pump for gen3 coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Question In tank fuel pump for gen3 coyote

Hi all,
    Building my type 65 and looking for an economical in tank fuel pump instead of an in-line one. Can anyone share what they used if a coyote was installed on a complete kit?

Thank you 🙏

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine from Forte with my engine package.

https://fortesparts.com/product/190-...pump-assembly/
    Gen 3 Coupe, Gen 2 Coyote, Wilwoods, IRS, Power Steering, AC JDAVIS500 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    An in-tank pump is probably the most common setup on these builds. Quieter, cooler, etc. There's still not a lot of experience out there for the Gen 3 Coyote. It requires more pressure and volume than the previous Coyotes, I'm assuming due to the added Direct Injection (DI) not on previous versions. So pumps used on previous Coyotes may be OK. Or maybe not. This was discussed in a previous thread, and I shared what I installed in my Gen 3 Coupe build with a Gen 3 Coyote. Maybe overkill, but what I did. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post376938.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the link and information. I found this setup with 400 lph and an enlarged feed line. Price is reasonable.
    Check it out. Definitely would support upgrades in the future.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23908...yABEgLUffD_BwE
    Last edited by Fbird; 10-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the link and your time to read this question. I found one similar with a larger pump. I posted a link 1 posting down. I will have to ponder which would be best value, most tolerant of future upgrades. Both are similar in price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful going too oversized on pump capacity. The only thing the larger pump is going to do is cycle way more volume than you need through the lines, making the return line dump the majority of what the pump sent forward right back into the tank after the engine takes what it needs. This isn’t technically a problem, and it will still work and allow plenty of room for power growth in the future, but it does add unnecessary heat to the fuel system and possibly increasing the aeration back at the tank unless your return line is routed to the bottom of the tank with something like the Pro-M fuel-pump hanger.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbird View Post
    Thank you for the link and information. I found this setup with 400 lph and an enlarged feed line. Price is reasonable.
    Check it out. Definitely would support upgrades in the future.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23908...yABEgLUffD_BwE
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Be careful going too oversized on pump capacity. The only thing the larger pump is going to do is cycle way more volume than you need through the lines, making the return line dump the majority of what the pump sent forward right back into the tank after the engine takes what it needs. This isn’t technically a problem, and it will still work and allow plenty of room for power growth in the future, but it does add unnecessary heat to the fuel system and possibly increasing the aeration back at the tank unless your return line is routed to the bottom of the tank with something like the Pro-M fuel-pump hanger.
    I tend to agree. I error on the side of conservative, but that pump strikes me as serious overkill. I don't know what you're planning, but can't imagine a setup where that much is required. Plus if you do some searching some maybe questionable reviews regarding that company. The Pro-M hangar with Walbro pump is a solid and proven solution. Still probably more than needed, but available capacity if needed in the future. You really don't want to be going back and working on the pump or changing things. Not a friendly repair and not worth saving a few bucks. Just my opinion.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. Much appreciated. Good feedback. Even if I ever get a supercharger the 400 lph pump would still be overkill. Why pump fuel to the engine to have to cycle half of it back via the return? I never considered that.