Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: To Lock or Not to Lock, That Is the Question

Superannuated Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To Lock or Not to Lock, That Is the Question

As I screw together the suspension -- something I sincerely hope will not come apart of its own volition -- this question pops up, and I seek information/opinions.

When do you use a thread locker on pieces to be screwed together, and when do you not use it? Some people seem to use it routinely on everything that they don't use anti-sieze on (there's another question...). Others not so much. What do you think?

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you never want it to come apart, lock it. If you need to lube it occasionally, don't. If it has a lock nut(Nylon or Distortion lock), cotter pin, you don't need loctite.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think having several type of lock tite available would be good also. They make several strengths. Use the low strength on something you don't want to come off, but will need to remove at some point. High strength for something that you won't need to remove. When/if I ever get to order a kit, I'd like to use some aviation hardware where I could. I'm a big fan of safety wire. It can be a PITA to do sometimes, but it looks cool (when done properly) and it won't come loose.

Also, there is penetrating lock tite, so you can apply it after assembly if needed.

Superannuated Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good info. Any thoughts on liquid vs. stick type product?