BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Car Insurance Choices

Post Thanks / Like

Car Insurance Choices

It is time for me to start thinking about insurance for my build. Since reading that Midwest is no longer writing new policies, I've been looking at these three:
    -Haggerty, over $1000
    -American Collector, over $1000 even with a USAA discount
    -Grundy, $742

All of these are for $100K limit (which I will be increasing to match my regular car insurance of $500K), $53,000 agreed value, one year policy, 45 years old, and clean driving record.

Las Vegas is an expensive place to insure vehicles. But, I've seen lots of other people say they are paying $300-$500 for their annual insurance.

Terry
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw where Midwest was working to correct the new policy issue, but I use American National Property and Casualty (ANPAC). They have their own collector car product called CHROME. You might want to look at that as an option. I have an agreed value policy at $64,500 with $500k limits; same as my other cars, and my rates are reasonable at ~$600 per year.

https://www.americannational.com/wps...ce/classic-car

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 01-07-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the Midwest new policy issue depends on your state. I would still give them a call.

You live in Vegas and want insurance? Not willing to gamble?????

Post Thanks / Like
    I got both my Cobra and Daytona (on Historic tag, so with limitation) for under $40 per month each with StateFarm.

5. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My policy with American collectors and USAA is $780 a year. Low miles (5k) but with a high agreed upon value. And I’m in Michigan with some of the highest rates in the country.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 01-07-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Francky View Post
    I got both my Cobra and Daytona (on Historic tag, so with limitation) for under $40 per month each with StateFarm.
    Is that with "agreed upon" or "stated value". I've seen several guys with StateFarm and stated value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that's correct, Agreed value.

Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted Robbin at Midwest. These are the quotes he gave me for 300K/500K limits.
    AM Collectors - $1357
    American Modern - $1369
    Hagerty - $1305

Holy cow! I'm going to check with State Farm, American National, and get another quote from Grundy with the 300/500 limits.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a hard time finding a good deal in NJ. I ended up going with National Corvette Museum Insurance which is underwritten by American Modern. They were friendly and I got a good rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up switching all of my insurance to American National with $300K/500K limits and $1000 deductible with an appraised value of $53K.

Just for the Roadster, State Farm wanted $1200 a year with the same limits. That means that if I take the car out every Sat for the year, I would be paying $23 for insurance for that day. Mmm, no. Other insurance quotes have been previously listed.

I was paying $1172 each 6 months for my other two cars (Maxima/Jeep Wrangler) with the same limits. American National will insure me for all three vehicles for $1154! Wow, decision made. The only kicker is that I would have to switch my home insurance to them as well. My previous annual premium was $560 and American National came in lower at $540. I can do that.

I've had USAA for my auto insurer for 29 years. Their reputation is excellent. My only claim with them ever was when my car got broken into in college (1994). I hope that American National has good service too if the need ever arises.

Right now, my insurance is actually cheaper because the appraised value is $25K during the build faze. I would have to have an appraiser come to me to have it appraised higher. But, I plan on having this thing roadworthy in a month to be able to drive it to the appraiser.

Dave (Papa), I owe you a beer or Starbucks for the recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TMartinLVNV View Post
    I ended up switching all of my insurance to American National with $300K/500K limits and $1000 deductible with an appraised value of $53K.

Just for the Roadster, State Farm wanted $1200 a year with the same limits. That means that if I take the car out every Sat for the year, I would be paying $23 for insurance for that day. Mmm, no. Other insurance quotes have been previously listed.

I was paying $1172 each 6 months for my other two cars (Maxima/Jeep Wrangler) with the same limits. American National will insure me for all three vehicles for $1154! Wow, decision made. The only kicker is that I would have to switch my home insurance to them as well. My previous annual premium was $560 and American National came in lower at $540. I can do that.

I've had USAA for my auto insurer for 29 years. Their reputation is excellent. My only claim with them ever was when my car got broken into in college (1994). I hope that American National has good service too if the need ever arises.

Right now, my insurance is actually cheaper because the appraised value is $25K during the build faze. I would have to have an appraiser come to me to have it appraised higher. But, I plan on having this thing roadworthy in a month to be able to drive it to the appraiser.

Dave (Papa), I owe you a beer or Starbucks for the recommendation.
    Glad they took care of you. I've been with them for many years and they've been awesome.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched to American Modern from Midwest Classic and I'm not paying less than half of what I was pay for the same coverage. It's worth checking to see if they are in your state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wibby View Post
    I switched to American Modern from Midwest Classic and I'm not paying less than half of what I was pay for the same coverage. It's worth checking to see if they are in your state.
    I checked with Midwest Classic. They offered three choices (American Modern, Hagerty, and one other). For me (no wrecks, no tickets for 18 years), all three were about $1200 a year just for the Roadster. In other words, very expensive.

Grundy was the only other option that was decent.