Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fog light Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Fog light Wiring

Is there a wiring diagram or instructions for the fog lights? I can't seem to find one anywhere. Maybe they are considered driving lights instead of fog lights and I'm searching for the wrong thing?

Biggest question: where are people generally pulling power for the fog lights? Are you connecting the relay switched power back to the fuse box? Directly to the battery with a fuse? Or can you tap the low-beam power line (assuming the low-beam line can handle the load, and you are okay with the fog lights only working when the headlights are on)?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 02-18-2020 at 02:25 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Not mentioned in the build manual anywhere that I saw. Here's what I did FWIW. First I modified the front harness to include the power wires up to the front. I have a battery bus bar behind my dash where I added a few other things and tapped the fog lights (aka running lights) power from there. Then through a circuit breaker, then a relay, then a switch in my switch panel. The relay is tied to my headlight switch. So the fog lights are available whenever the headlight switch is in the first or second position. So I can leave the fog light switch on if I want, but they actually only power on when the headlight switch is pulled. Most DD's wire them this way as well. Note I also switched mine to LED's, so they don't draw a bunch of current. The ones that come with the kit are power hogs. The wire harness they provided looks adequate. Make sure whatever switching and fuse/circuit breaker you use is sized accordingly.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did mine a little differently. I added the wiring to the existing harness and kept the switch independent of the head lights. Mine are powered off the battery through a fuse and relay.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks much edwardb and David— as usual, seems like there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. I like the idea of going LED to reduce power draw. edwardb, do you happen to know what size bulb is used or have a part number handy?
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Thanks much edwardb and David— as usual, seems like there are a lot of ways to skin this cat. I like the idea of going LED to reduce power draw. edwardb, do you happen to know what size bulb is used or have a part number handy?
    I'm not aware of way to change the provided lights to LED. I didn't use them. Sold with other leftover parts. I looked at a lot of options and ended up with KC HiLiTES 493 4" Gravity LED Fog Lights. Not cheap (and more expensive now than what I bought them two years ago) but DOT (many aren't) and had good reviews. I'm very happy with them. But there are other choices.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same as David.

7. Thanks jwhit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Food for thought most States require fog/running lamp to come on with low beam headlamps and go off in high beam mode. But it's our cars lol