Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The hardest part?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    The hardest part for me is the fact that you can't search the forum and have it take you directly to the post with the content. Unless I'm doing something wrong it just lists all the threads that contain your search which in many cases is build threads with large numbers of posts to look through. The forums are a huge asset just wish it was easier to find what you need.
    It is a lot easier, as some other people said, to google it with “factory five” in the search. Took me awhile to realize that.
    25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Traveller, what car is that in your profile pic? Got a link?
    Just a random picture that I liked. I don't know who or where it's from...
    MK4 Complete Kit #9673 | Ordered: 08/07/2019 | Pickup: 08/24/2019
    Gen 2 Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, 18" Halibrands, Kirkey Vintage Race Seats, Gas-N Headers and Pipes
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...IRS-Build-9673

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard the new manual is better than the the old one, so perhaps it will make the build easier. When I built mine the manual was a very rough guide, and left a lot to be desired. The FFCobra.com, (now FFCars.com) forum, was my go to back then. (This forum didn't exist back then).

What I couldn't gain from reading the posts of previous builders, on practically any particular aspect of the build, could just be posted as a question. Within 24 hours I'd have my answer. Some of the things that had me completely flummoxed, turned out to be amazingly simple, with one simple hint. Such as, hold the part from the other end to feed it in, then turn it around, or, install this panel before the other, (even though the manual said otherwise), sort of thing. Even after working in the automotive business for over 30 years, I still learned a lot.
    I see Facebook has a builders group, and there can be some good advice found on it, but as a new builder, I would still depend on the two forums.

4. Thanks alexmak thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by delta0014 View Post
    It is a lot easier, as some other people said, to google it with “factory five” in the search. Took me awhile to realize that.
    Yeah I made the mistake of trying to use the search directly within the forum.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Power plant selection - old school, new school, or ...

DDCDF7ED-7611-49FC-B579-84B07F066640.jpeg

Then reconciling the instructions for the Ron Francis wiring harness, the dashboard wiring, the engine's EFI set-up, and the extra accessories I added was a bit of a challenge for me. The good news is there's plenty of knowledgable guys out there on the forum willing to help out.
    Last edited by RJD; 02-16-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will find out that you will be able to do the build even though you my feel a little overwhelmed in the beginning. Like others have said just do one thing at a time. As said in the movie " what about Bob- Baby steps. I found the people in the forum very helpful and you tube is a must. When there were times I couldn't figure out how to do things,I would step away, sleep on it, use you tube, the forum, and I always came up with the solution. I found the electrical was the hardest for me and I wish I had thought it out better. It all works but looks like spaghetti behind the dash. That is the one part of the build that I would like to redo. BTW every time you get stumped and come up with the solution you will feel so good. So don't worry and just enjoy the build.

8. Thanks alexmak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark is a great guy and if you want to go that direction you will be happy no doubt.
    But I would like to suggest my avenue and that is the "Build School" we can help you get all the confidence you need and build this on your own.
    Regards,

Todd
    Todd Baumann
    FFR Build School Instructor 16+ Years Mott Community College
    FFR 2086 MKI, 22+ years on the road
    FFR 300 MKI Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank, Todd. We considered the school, and still might do it if nothing else works. We are those people that read a manual after we try And someth8 g doesn’t work (although not in this case, of course)

Post Thanks / Like
    The hardest part is realizing its not hard to build & ignoring the "Is it done yet?" people. You get 30 odd boxes a few crates, maybe a skid & it looks overwhelming. Just remember how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Two hours a day max + some all day Saturdays & Sundays.

Then one day its done.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

12. Thanks alexmak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mentioned 'both forums' - may I ask what the second forum is? This is all new to me as I am researching the set-up for my future MKIV build. I want to order it and start it next year as I prepare to retire 4/1/2022 (Not that I'm chomping at the bit to get started!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The other forum is ffcars
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 02-16-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delta0014 View Post
    I think I could of bought 2 or 3 Jetta's for what my pile of boxes will end up costing.
    Amen Brother!
    So far I could have bought two since I just crossed the 40-K mark since everything on my car was 100% new; however, I'd still do it again knowing what I know now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! GOT IT..

Post Thanks / Like
    Alexmak,

Nothing about this is too hard. Read lots of build threads and plan every move you make. Also, plan on redoing pretty much EVERYTHING you put on the car at least once and usually a couple of times. (I have installed my engine 3 times, so far LOL)

Start a build thread and post lots of photos. You will get all the help you need.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Alexmak,

Nothing about this is too hard. Read lots of build threads and plan every move you make. Also, plan on redoing pretty much EVERYTHING you put on the car at least once and usually a couple of times. (I have installed my engine 3 times, so far LOL)

Start a build thread and post lots of photos. You will get all the help you need.

Mark
    Thanks! Yes, I figured a build thread is a must. I read a lot but I got to the point where I already have dreams about it, and sometimes they are weird (like assembling a frame together).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Over thinking EVERYTHING! I have more scrap aluminum and tubing than Boeing. I’m way too anal.If a bracket isn’t interesting,its scrap.
    I learned when I was young that you can distract tech with something interesting in front while they don't see the crap in back that’s about to fall off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm changing my answer after this weekend. Hardest part has to be attaching the windshield uprights. Had to buy a right angle impact wench to have any way of tightening those bolts.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    I'm changing my answer after this weekend. Hardest part has to be attaching the windshield uprights. Had to buy a right angle impact wench to have any way of tightening those bolts.
    i found I could reach the passenger side post bolts, by reaching through the fender vent hole. Awkward, but doable. Drivers side was equally as awkward, but I was able to reach the bolts from inside the foot-box area. Biggest pain was kneeling down, and also trying to see the bolts, to get the wrench's on.

Post Thanks / Like
    The most important person in my life, my step-father, continually told me this, and it has always held true:

"Plan your work, work your plan"

You have tons of repeatable advice above. Read the manual, then look at one page, finish the page and do the next. Some tasks will take a minute to complete others a week. But if you plan each piece and work that plan, it will go smooth.

I haven't ordered my kit, but I've renovated a house by myself, built a 1200 sq/ft garage with a second floor, completely gutted 3 bathrooms and rebuilt it myself. Redid all the electrical, plumbing, and sewer lines myself, ran all new natural gas lines, etc. I figured out what I wanted to do, looked up how to do it, if I didn't have the tool, I bought, borrowed, or rented it. I practiced on scrap, I messed up, I fixed it, and when I got stuck, I asked for help. Know your limitations, but push your boundaries and try.

Yoda was wrong, there is a try. You might fail, but you'll learn and be better next time. The fun is in the trying and succeeding, but you need failures to learn. I'm sure every builder here has broken a part, stripped a screw, scratched paint, etc. It happens.

Plan your work, work your plan.

And best of all, enjoy your spoils ...

Post Thanks / Like
    My hardest part was to use time in the garage effectively. When I built the car, '06 my kids were younger. I didn't have much time. My goal was forward progress every week, whether the car got worked on or not. So I used lists to track different work tasks, and where I was in the task. It may be days or weeks before I got back to the car. Research and planning is forward progress and happened when I couldn't get out to the car. Detailed List allowed multiple areas to be in progress at one time. When problems require more research, stop on that list and move to another as garage time is used to it's fullest. As time goes on and items are cked off it's very motivating all that you ck off as done! Good Luck and have fun with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a turnkey crate engine and wiring harness specifically designed for the car, the hardest part is going to be committing to a paint color.

Unless, of course, you hit a weld in the frame when drilling the holes for the pop rivets.

Post Thanks / Like
    My hardest part was not driving it until it had plates on it.
    2017 FFR MK4 9026, 3 Link, 15" FFR halibrands, cooper cobra tires, '88 302/5.0, GT40 Y303 heads, Performer RPM intake Manifold, Holley 650 DP Carb, Pertronix distributor, T5Z spec built transmission, 3.73 rear end. Ordered Nov 2016, picked up at FFR Feb 2017, first start July 2017, Legal on the road May 2018, still in Gelcoat.

26. Likes Railroad liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12