Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: (IDEA!) FFR MOA Group? (Members of America)

Post Thanks / Like

Question (IDEA!) FFR MOA Group? (Members of America)

Back in November I made a run down to St Petersburg Fl. and back. (1,300 miles) Getting stranded is always a concern (even though I have State Farm Roadside assistance). The BMW Motorcycle Owners had a Group Book that lists States and Towns with Names and Codes. (Tools available, Will Travel, Spare Parts, etc.) I'd like to see a FFR (Roadster?) Members thing. Breaking down in Tim-Buck-2 is not a good feeling especially when you're sitting on the side of the road. I'm not keen on loading my car on a rollback either. I've seen the rollback driver/operator do more damage just loading the car and that's just the start.

We could do an electronic version (instead of a paper one) or?

Ideas?

Is there something already in the works somewhere?

(Example)

SOUTH CAROLINA
    North Myrtle Beach; 1.) Mike Cathcart (mxsxc @.....com), Work Space, Tools, Welder (Tig, Stick)
    2.) Ab Normal ([email protected]), Cold Beer, Conversation.

Simpsonville; 1.) Toby Kawaliski (xxxxx@.....) 803 399-*911, Trailer available, storage space

NORTH CAROLINA
    Wilmington; XXXXX XXXXXXxx

(If this is in the Wrong Area, Mr. Mod please feel free to move it! I'm not looking for a Job, or Selling Anything!)

2. Likes shmelty, Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a really good idea.

I could see where someone on a trip away from home, would be concerned about where to take their car if they had a breakdown. The cars, being fairly unique may pose issues for some mechanical shops, costing more money for diagnostics, and repairs. Hate to think my roadster may spend a night in a business's unsecured parking lot, while they waited on parts, with me in a motel room down the street. Even if it couldn't be kept inside, at least at a private residence, I'd have less fear of it's exposure to never-do-wells.
    The possibility of having it trailered, vs a tow truck, would also be a comfort.
    You may want to break the member's location listings down further, in some States or Provinces, as they are so large. California, Florida, or Ontario, for example. List members in Southern Calif, Central, and Northern regions of the State.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great idea! I will admit to 2 brekdowns in FFR cars I built, first in a roadster when I blew an oil cooler line and second in a daytona coupe when the electric fuel pump shorted. Both case, within minutes, strangers pulled over, offered tools, garage space and one actually drove me back and forth to the parts store. Seems just the interest in the cars brings out the best in people. Now if we could just pass this on to our politicians.........

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that this idea was floated many years back, perhaps on the other forum. I don't think that it ever gained any traction. It IS a very good idea.
    What I have seen on another forum that I am on is that if someone brakes down while travelling they post to the forum from the side of the road. Sort of a "Hail Mary"...

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s a great idea! I’m fortunate that I haven’t had any breakdowns on a road trip. AAA is nice, but where do you go!? At least you’d have a place to get towed to if it’s not too far away!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This has already been tried. In the 2005-2010 time period, FFR attempted to recruit members for their "Factory Five Regional Groups", aka "FROGS". It never really took off on a national scope, although some of the regional groups were successful for a while.

Eventually the plan just faded away.

If it were to be brought back, I think that it would be a worthwhile endeavor, but a lot of work to organize it .

And some members may not want to participate in a public listing with their current personal data.

Derald.
    Last edited by Derald Rice; 02-21-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    This could be an App on your phone... Perhaps a part of the current app that is out there... I think it is a great idea...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    It wouldn't have to be a group or a club thing.
    If there was even just a file created by someone, with a list of contacts, shown by State and Province, of people willing to help, and perhaps a little of what they may have to offer others. For privacy reasons, this file could be E-mailed by request to members, rather than be posted on the forum.

IE

Canada
    British Columbia

Vancouver Island- AC Bill, Phone Home #'s xxx-xxxx, Cell xxx-xxxx, E-mail. XXXX@XXXXXX,
    Tools, compressor, welder, secure parking, car trailer.

Burnaby- Joe Smoe, Phone# xxx-xxxx Cell- xxx-xxxx, Facetime, MS Messenger, E-mail-XXX-XXX
    Tow references, Shop references,

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't there a map thingy where you can put a pin where you live. With Facebook F5 pages these days... about all you have to do is say hey I'm broke down, come and get me.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is a great idea! I have reached out to forum members in other cities during my travels over the past years and made some new friends. I agree with Derald that people may not want to have personal data out in the open, but a simple directory available only to FFR owners might alleviate some of those concerns. Even if you limit it to name, city and phone you can provide a lot of value to someone on the side of the road, or to someone who might just want to find a local expert. We should get a committee of sorts to discuss some options. I'm happy to participate.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I was unaware this had been tried in the Past. Maybe by Region is the best idea. (Al) I haven't seen the FaceBook Pin location thing. I know I'd personally feel better knowing the area I'm headed to has someone just in case. I've met a few people coming to Myrtle and I'm "normally" available for a B&B (Beer and Burger)!

Post Thanks / Like
    The cyclekart club has a member map where it shows a flag for each member and when you clic on it it brings up there name and e mail.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this. Sounds good to me, I'm just South of you in Murrells Inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by MCathcart View Post
    Back in November I made a run down to St Petersburg Fl. and back. (1,300 miles) Getting stranded is always a concern (even though I have State Farm Roadside assistance). The BMW Motorcycle Owners had a Group Book that lists States and Towns with Names and Codes. (Tools available, Will Travel, Spare Parts, etc.) I'd like to see a FFR (Roadster?) Members thing. Breaking down in Tim-Buck-2 is not a good feeling especially when you're sitting on the side of the road. I'm not keen on loading my car on a rollback either. I've seen the rollback driver/operator do more damage just loading the car and that's just the start.

We could do an electronic version (instead of a paper one) or?

Ideas?

Is there something already in the works somewhere?

(Example)

SOUTH CAROLINA
    North Myrtle Beach; 1.) Mike Cathcart (mxsxc @.....com), Work Space, Tools, Welder (Tig, Stick)
    2.) Ab Normal ([email protected]), Cold Beer, Conversation.

Simpsonville; 1.) Toby Kawaliski (xxxxx@.....) 803 399-*911, Trailer available, storage space

NORTH CAROLINA
    Wilmington; XXXXX XXXXXXxx

(If this is in the Wrong Area, Mr. Mod please feel free to move it! I'm not looking for a Job, or Selling Anything!)
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    MOA is already taken as an acronym.

A Minute of Angle (MOA) is an angular measurement.
    A MOA is 1/60th of a degree.
    1 MOA spreads about 1″ per 100 yards. ( actually 1.047″)

Sorry, but I just had to since this is A-Merica!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    MOA is already taken as an acronym.

A Minute of Angle (MOA) is an angular measurement.
    A MOA is 1/60th of a degree.
    1 MOA spreads about 1″ per 100 yards. ( actually 1.047″)

Sorry, but I just had to since this is A-Merica!
    My first thought also! 'Cause this is A-Merica! (Could be slightly enhanced by my Southern heritage, though. LOL)
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceral View Post
    Isn't there a map thingy where you can put a pin where you live. With Facebook F5 pages these days... about all you have to do is say hey I'm broke down, come and get me.
    There's one for 33 owners at least - I just updated a bunch of people

Read our thread or View the map

This would certainly what I'd use on a cross-country trip. It doesn't have contact info generally.. but it's a great way to share location data.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100