Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Accelerator Pedal Install Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Accelerator Pedal Install Coyote

I am installing the coyote accelerator pedal in my Gen III and don't seem to have the referenced Accelerator pedal mount that is referred to in the coyote install directions, however, there seems to be a mount welded into my frame and the holes lined up. I figured they just welded in the mount, which is why I don't have it in my parts boxes, so I installed the pedal to the mount that was welded to the frame. The holes lined up perfect and I thought I was good. Well... now I put my steering column back in and see that the drive by wire plug on the pedal goes right into the steering shaft. Now I am questioning if I am missing a piece that goes between the welded mount and the pedal that moves it away from the steering shaft.

Should there be a mount between what is welded to the frame and acl. pedal? The directions show one but I never got one in the parts and the holes for the pedal match the holes that are on the welded on mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are doing it correctly (at least in my experience), and yes it will hit the steering column if you don't modify the pedal or the mount. The pedal should mount directly to the bracket welded to the frame, but I had to do some additional modifications to the pedal to get it out of the way of the steering shaft. In my case I widened one of the mount holes in the pedal (I think it was the top one) which gave me some room to wiggle it around to where I wanted it (I could have modified the metal mount holes instead, but just felt it was harder to get to). Then I used a bit of JB weld putty to partially fill the hole back in and tighten it up. It really didn't take much to get the plug out of the way. The pedal and the steering shaft won't (or shouldn't) slide around when mounted, so you shouldn't need any extra clearance— just enough to get it out of the way.

Also (unless someone has found a different way), in order to clear the steering shaft, the pedal will mount at a very funny angle when you're done— don't expect to get it straight up and down. And make sure that when you do finally agree on the mounting location that you give yourself enough room for carpet (if you're installing it) on the transmission tunnel in the footbox. Mine felt like it was a little too close for comfort, so I ended up going the same route as edwardb and installing a flexible plastic mat in that part of my carpet which would lessen the chance for interference. I also trimmed a bit from the right side of the pedal out of an abundance of caution— the last thing you want is for the pedal to get pushed down, hang up on the carpet, and not come back up...

For some reason I was actually sent the mount pictured in the instructions, which made it even more confusing. But that mount is now in my box of parts to sell.

P.S. If you are reading this FFR, it'd be really nice to have slotted holes drilled in that mount on the frame to give us Coyote installs a bit of adjustment room on the pedal.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 03-02-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

3. Thanks Tree thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more potential option if you have a big budget: https://www.amazon.com/Lokar-BDBW-FO.../dp/B00NW3R0Y6

I can't vouch that this will work, but it says it's Ford/Coyote compatible. The nice thing about this option is that it looks like you could fabricate and mount a different shaped pedal to get it exactly where you wanted it.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, that is very helpful but I am not sure if it is good or bad news. I guess I need to take it back off and do a little work. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    Thank you, that is very helpful but I am not sure if it is good or bad news. I guess I need to take it back off and do a little work. Thanks again.
    You bet. And you might also wait to see if others chime in— there may be other/better ways of solving the problem (I seem to remember edwardb fashioning a plate between the pedal and the frame to relocate the screws, but I could be totally wrong). But in general I think you are running into a common problem with the supplied parts, so you certainly haven't done anything wrong.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 03-02-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the post I did on the DBW mount in my build thread. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post343699. Scroll down a bit as it's the second topic in this post. I did use the provided mounting plate from the Coyote install kit with some modification. That Lokar pedal does work apparently. No personal experience, but I've read several build threads where it was used. I was tempted a couple times in my Roadster build and also the Coupe build when I got frustrated with the stock module. But it's just too expensive. You have to buy the module plus a pedal piece. There's another option with a Ford truck or van DBW module that's apparently more compact. But don't have any details. I've been able to get the stock piece to work in both builds. Just be patient with it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.