FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR coyote/tremec drive shaft install

Post Thanks / Like

FFR coyote/tremec drive shaft install

Does the FFR trans have a output shaft spline protector that needs to be removed prior to drive shaft install? and is there a recommended means of doing it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I use needle nose plyers on each side. Its a soft rubber piece. I have been told you can just push it in too.
    mike

3. Thanks Andrew Davis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a rubber donut-like piece that the factory installs around the output shaft and pushed into the end. Sometimes removed by the dealer, but sounds like yours isn't. Usually you can reach in there with one or two needle nose pliers and gradually work it out. You may need to loosen it a bit with a screwdriver. Just be careful not to damage the seal around the outside end. In theory, it can be left in. But I prefer to remove it.

From the Tremec instructions: There is a rubber donut on the outputshaft that is used to prevent any remaining oil in the transmission from leaking during shipment. While you may remove this donut, it is not necessary. It will simply slide forward on the shaft when the slip-yoke is installed. If you do remove the donut, use extreme caution to avoid damaging the rear seal. The slip-yoke must be able to stroke freely on the transmissions output shaft without bottoming out while maintaining maximum spline contact. Therefore, proper driveshaft length is critical.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks Andrew Davis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, just a little nervous. Good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Michael and Edward,
    worked it out just as you all suggested. Coyote/Tremec and drive shaft happily in place. Made my day!