Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: dash mounting question

Post Thanks / Like

dash mounting question

I may be in the minority, but I like the "period-correct" look of the screws holding the top of the dash onto the hoop, but I want to have the screws accessible in the event I need to remove the dash down the road. If I don't want the screws blocked by the lip of the body, do I need to add some small L brackets to lower the mounting points, or are they still accessible if screwed directly into the hoop?

Thanks,
    John
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Add the brackets. you only need three screws (dash only weighs 3lbs wet)..da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    D00A76ED-5691-42B0-80F1-F9825633E6A5.jpeg206F5A9F-A3ED-448E-85FE-C6E41EDCC2EE.jpeg

I am in the mock up stage of this. One pic shows the tabs. The other shows 5 cleckos holding it on. I wanted them not only to be exposed but also evenly spaced from the rolled lip. Now that I have completed the mock up I think 5 is over kill just like da bat is saying. I will probably just install the outside and center. Hope this is a good visual aid for you.

Dale

4. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Add the brackets. you only need three screws (dash only weighs 3lbs wet)..da Bat
    Like Jeff Miller said, make little drop-down tabs and install rivet-nuts to make the dash removal task easier.

I've got #10X24 screws on my dash, stereo panel, transmission tunnel top, slave cylinder, and every other access hatch.

https://youtu.be/A0Jb1tjjtPU

One tool (1/8" allen wrench) can pretty much take apart nearly everything, including my grill.

Also, get either Jeff Miller or Jeff Kleiner to do your paint if you want it done to a show quality standard.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-29-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You do not need to mount the nut sert as low in the angle piece as mine as my dash is lower than most.

IMG_8903 by George Ligon, on Flickr

IMG_8893 by George Ligon, on Flickr

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect - thanks everyone! That's very helpful.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has phillips head screws and these style small finish washers.
    https://www.rockler.com/decorative-w...7b6eed4d563bb2
    You can also get the plastic type caps like these.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-4...nd-Cap/3012661
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a tip: if you plan to put stripes on the car make the center tab extra wide but do not install the center fastener until afterwards. I've had several cars in for paint in which the owner put a fastener in what he thought was the center of the dash...and it probably was...but being that these bodies are not mirror images left to right that's not the center of the stripe. Once the stripes are established install the fastener so that it is on the stripe's center. Nobody is going to measure it and see that it's 15" to the screw on the right and 14 3/8" to the screw on the left but EVERYBODY will notice if that screw doesn't align with the center of the stripe

Jeff

10. Thanks facultyofmusic thanked for this post
    Likes mabbott74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a fantastic tip. I would have definitely been *that guy* that positioned that center screw EXACTLY in the center of the hoop (to the mm) and been so proud of myself... then kicked myself in the *** when it didn't line up in the center of the stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Mine has phillips head screws and these style small finish washers.
    https://www.rockler.com/decorative-w...7b6eed4d563bb2
    You can also get the plastic type caps like these.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-4...nd-Cap/3012661
    Thanks Craig. I've been doing a little digging online looking for screws for the dash, but haven't found exactly what I'm envisioning yet. In my mind I'm picturing chrome slotted-head screws with countersunk washers, but I haven't found exactly that yet. I have found them in SS at McMaster so I may end up going with SS rather than chrome.

screws: https://www.mcmaster.com/91790A247/
    washers: https://www.mcmaster.com/90333A011/

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a press fit with no upper screws. Works with an Everson lower shelf & a console to apply pressure keeping the top of the dash in the space between the body & upper frame hoop.

Original as I built it.

Upgrade work in progress.

Makes it a lot easier to get behind the panel. No bad effects in 5 years 15,000 miles of use.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff - Thanks for the tip! My tab is about 1 1/2”, should I make it wider than that?

Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Here's a tip: if you plan to put stripes on the car make the center tab extra wide but do not install the center fastener until afterwards. I've had several cars in for paint in which the owner put a fastener in what he thought was the center of the dash...and it probably was...but being that these bodies are not mirror images left to right that's not the center of the stripe. Once the stripes are established install the fastener so that it is on the stripe's center. Nobody is going to measure it and see that it's 15" to the screw on the right and 14 3/8" to the screw on the left but EVERYBODY will notice if that screw doesn't align with the center of the stripe

Jeff
    Hmm, someone I may know may have done that

Their car is painted just like mine too I blame Miller! The stripes are in the wrong place! Yeah, that's it. Damn that rum!!!!!!
    Last edited by TMartinLVNV; 07-30-2020 at 08:34 PM.
    MK IV Build #9659, 3 link, 17's, Forte 347, Sniper EFI, power steering, built for a freak sized person with 17" Kirkey Vintage seats, RT drop trunk, RT turn signal, lots of stuff from Breeze Automotive, Wilwood brakes, paint by Jeff Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a great color combo. But you are right, the stripes are not centered!! ��

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    Sorry to rehash an old thread, but I've been debating various dash mounting methods and keep coming back to doing the three screws through the face of the dash (as opposed to some sort of hidden attachment). My question is, what is the typical variation on stripes being off-center, in other words how wide do I need to make that center tab so that I can center the screw on the stripes and have the mounting tab behind it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, I was going over the center location tonight! You save me brother!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, I was going over the center location tonight! You save me brother!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!