BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Rear end leak

Post Thanks / Like

Rear end leak

I am leaking fluid out of my rear end where the passenger side CV axle goes in.

It's spraying it when I drive on the underside, then theres a puddle when I park. Doesn't leak anything once it's parked.

I can pull on the CV boot and it moves about a 1/4 inch or so in and out. Should it do that or is it just not seated properly in it? Or anyone know what would cause the leak?

Thanks

25th Anniversary Roadster #12 of 25
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    that should be a bit tighter for sure, did you feel/hear "the click" when you first installed it?

I used a mallet to whack mine pretty good and the tone when it hit home was noticeably different
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    that should be a bit tighter for sure, did you feel/hear "the click" when you first installed it?

I used a mallet to whack mine pretty good and the tone when it hit home was noticeably different
    Honestly, not quite sure. Thought when I installed them they were pretty tight. Would that cause the leak? Wonder if I can just pound it in and it'd stop it or if I should look at replacing a seal or something.
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 doesn't look seated. I'm guessing the side that doesn't leak has a tighter gap there? They should be the same. Roughly 1/8-inch gap as I recall.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys,

I took the center nut off, whacked it with a rubber mallet and it seemed to seat much better. Re-torqued the center nut and took it for a spin around the block. All dry as of now, but I’ll take it on a longer drive this weekend.
    Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good - you may want to be sure the nut is on solid - i think theyre 1 time use, theyre only ~$10-13 at local auto stores ����
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your gear lube level.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is running great, and haven't had any problems driving except this rear end leak......

Just looking for any advice or something I'm missing, or something I need to make sure I'm doing when I reinstall it.

This is the 3rd time I've messed around with this.

Picture of the good side, hasn't leaked at all, still has body dust on it from the body shop. Gap between the axle and rear end are the same as the other side.

This side keeps leaking. First time I don't think the axle was seated properly, was a lot of play in it.
    2nd time it started spraying everywhere, I took the axle out again and the seal came with it.
    Put it back together and now the seal is popping out again.
    I plan on trying to get the part number and just ordering another seal and see what happens.
    There doesn't seem to be any movement with the axle in and out of the rear end, seems tight. The gap is about the same on both sides, looks bigger in the pictures, it's maybe 1/4 inch at most, but it is a little over the 1/8 inch that the manual states.

Gen 3 Coyote
    TKO 600 mid-shift

Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to state the obvious, the seal should not come out with the axle!
    It should need to be tapped in with a hammer. They make seal drivers so you dont damage the seal when installing them. They should be tight enough that removing it ruins it and replacing is always a good idea.

When you install the new one, it should be very snug when trying to install it!

A word of caution, yes you can use a hammer but the risk of damage to the seal is great. See if your auto parts store has a loaner seal driver, if not, try a large socket or maybe a pipe fitting,
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Those axles still didn't look fully seated to me, which is probably why one was still leaking. When I installed mine I pushed them in as hard as I could and was convinced they were seated. When I measured them they looked like yours. I took a wooden block and a 3 lb. minisledge and was able to drive them in another 1/8" or so to their fully seated position. It took a few hits, but as toadster said, you'll feel it when it finally seats.
    Last edited by JohnK; 08-17-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neither axle looks seated. Not sure why only the 1 is leaking, but they both dont look in far enough. You should be looking for 1/8" gap or so, that looks more like 1/2".