Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Gen 3 Type '65 Coupe For Tall Guy!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Type '65 Coupe For Tall Guy!!

Hi All, This is my first post. I am 6'8", 245 lbs and I would greatly appreciate hearing from you all regarding what modifications you have done or seen in the coupe to fit taller drivers. I really like the look of the Gen 3 and the information notes that it has more head room and more footbox space to begin with. I am sure there are additional modifications that can be done to accommodate someone my size. Appreciate your input. Cheers Dan
    Last edited by Rhody; 01-14-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is possible to make you comfortable in the car. The hard part is getting you in and out of the tiny doors. I'm 6'3 and it is an adventure at times.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed with your size you'll be able to fit. With the right seats, pedal positions, etc. Also agree developing your best technique for getting in and out is the most challenging. I'd highly recommend adding a removable steering wheel to your build plan. It's a huge help having it out of the way. Especially for getting out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    It is possible to make you comfortable in the car. The hard part is getting you in and out of the tiny doors. I'm 6'3 and it is an adventure at times.
    Thanks Gordon, That's good news to hear I can fit!! I know it will be difficult to get in and out of it. I will have to increase the amount of yoga that I do to keep myself limber!! Cheers, Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Agreed with your size you'll be able to fit. With the right seats, pedal positions, etc. Also agree developing your best technique for getting in and out is the most challenging. I'd highly recommend adding a removable steering wheel to your build plan. It's a huge help having it out of the way. Especially for getting out.
    Thanks Edward! I greatly appreciate your suggestions. This will inspire me to shed 20lb of added weight that I have collected over the last 40 years to allow easier access! Cheers Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Just use GT40 doors!

I believe its Dan at FFR that's a big guy and he has a coupe too.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    im 260 and 6ft and after practice getting in and out can be done not always as graceful as i would like but its ok
    i dont have removable wheel and dont find that i need one but seat choice would play big role in that
    im using standard roadster seat which i find gives me the head room i need which is still a little tight
    but the foot box was my biggest problem i have 12 wide foot so i had to play with differnt shoes
    for driving and i decided to buy a set of racing shoes which work great for driving.im sure people
    still look at me funny when getting out of car since it does take some effort.

inside.jpg
    Last edited by jwhit; 01-13-2021 at 10:45 AM. Reason: photo

Post Thanks / Like
    Rhody,

Best would be to find a Daytona close to you and go see and try.
    When I visited FFR factory I was also surprised by the tight space to get in a Daytona.
    No need to say that a Cobra is a no-brainer to get in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
    Rhody,

Best would be to find a Daytona close to you and go see and try.
    When I visited FFR factory I was also surprised by the tight space to get in a Daytona.
    No need to say that a Cobra is a no-brainer to get in.
    Yes! I agree. Will be looking to see if any Daytonas near me to see in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rhody, where are you located?
    Sigurd
    Type 65 Gen 3, 347 Fi, Tremec, IRS, Wilwood, AC, PS

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Rhody, where are you located?
    I'm in Agoura Hills California. Zip 91301

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhit View Post
    im 260 and 6ft and after practice getting in and out can be done not always as graceful as i would like but its ok
    i dont have removable wheel and dont find that i need one but seat choice would play big role in that
    im using standard roadster seat which i find gives me the head room i need which is still a little tight
    but the foot box was my biggest problem i have 12 wide foot so i had to play with differnt shoes
    for driving and i decided to buy a set of racing shoes which work great for driving.im sure people
    still look at me funny when getting out of car since it does take some effort.

inside.jpg
    Hi Jwhit, Thanks for the input! Great photo. My feet are 13. I do have a pair of racing shoes when I used to have a Z06 Corvette. I would definitely need adjustment of the foot box along with pedal placement and lowered seat without rails.Cheers Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Hi Jwhit, Thanks for the input! Great photo. My feet are 13. I do have a pair of racing shoes when I used to have a Z06 Corvette. I would definitely need adjustment of the foot box along with pedal placement and lowered seat without rails.Cheers Dan
    i think you can make it work ,my buddy has cobra i can get in it easy but i think the foot room on it is worse than coupe.i think the only reason it is easy to get in is cause no roof in way
    but i feel sure that coupe has more leg room with out a doubt

14. Thanks Rhody thanked for this post
    Likes Rhody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should consider looking at an unfinished Spyder. Eliminates the headroom issue and ease of getting in and out problem.
    Just an alternative.
    Spyder grant 2.jpg
    " The journey is the reward" Chinese Proverb
    FFR Roadster #5380
    FFR Spyder GT #030

16. Thanks Rhody thanked for this post
    Likes Rhody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 7tvette View Post
    You should consider looking at an unfinished Spyder. Eliminates the headroom issue and ease of getting in and out problem.
    Just an alternative.
    Spyder grant 2.jpg
    I definitely like this as an alternative! Great looking car! I really appreciate your input and the awesome photo. Options are good to have! Cheers, Dan