57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    We think alike.
    My gut and heart tells me that if we as Americans can "suck it up" and each take the time and spend a little extra to BUY AMERICAN we little people can make the difference.
    The big problem I see is that most are too lazy to take that time.
    Thank you very much for your post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since watching that on ABC I now almost always ask where a product is made to see if I have an option of buying American. Just did tie rod ends, struts and lowering springs on my wife's 300C and was able to get all American made products. It does make a difference and often only requires simply asking the question as to where it's made. Yes it did cost a couple of $ more but I was very surprised that I had easy choices for US product. We also just bought a couple of new sofas and made sure they were manufactured locally (Virginia). Maybe the fabric, foam etc came from China I don't know but I do know that it had a decent amount of US content.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the buy American products concept, as long as the quality is there as well. Back when GM was building such "quality" products and badge engineered failures likes the Cadillac Cimarron, they just expected people to buy American because. I don't mind paying a small amount extra to get an American made product (small amount is subjective to each person, of course) but I still want to get quality.
    I graduate with my EE degree in May, and will probably be getting a new car somewhat soon. The S-10 is going to stay in the stable no matter what, but I want a car as well.... or 2. :-P I'd like to buy an American sedan for a daily driver, and possibly an 818 coupe ;-) for my new toy, but as far as the American sedan goes, I'm skeptical about buying from the US companies still... Seeing reports of the line workers drinking and smoking pot on their breaks doesn't really instill confidence in me for their product.
    As far as FFR is concerned for my next toy purchase, I know they use some foreign products to keeps costs down (the Subaru motor for the 818), but they're still employing people in America in a skilled trade. Makes it a quality American made purchase in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Supporting the American worker is more important to the economy than many people realize. Unfortunately my experience has been that most of us are more concerned with price than where an item is made. I own two American companies and can compete with anyone in the world as long as we are playing on the same field. With domestic regulations and requirements and foreign tariffs and subsidies that is not always the case. Everyone always says it is cheaper labor. An example I cite often is a Christmas gift from my daughter 7 years ago. They had a dollar store at her school for students to get their parents a gift. She thoughtfully bought me a flashlight. It was a Chinese knock off of a Mag Lite, problem number one no respect for international patents and designs and no penalties for ignoring them. This weighed about 1/2 what a Mag Light did and the feel was not the same, but I took it apart and studied it. It came packaged, made shipped with batteries and it worked from 1/2 way around the world and retailed for $1.00. So someone made this and shipped at a cost of probably a quarter. I measured it and specked out the material to determine what it would cost me to make it in my factory in the USA. It didn't take long to see a problem. My cost on the material alone to make this was $1.87. That is cost of part of the raw material, with no labor whatsoever. It is difficult to compete against subsidized currencies, raw materials, and labor cost. Other governments apparently value a strong manufacturing base more than our own, and are working to protect it. We are creating a consumerist society and a service economy. It is true you can probably save a few bucks by buying price only, but at what cost? A strong manufacturing base is vital to a healthy economy and national defense. What difference will it make if we can buy a widget at the big box store for a cheap price? If we are all working there we still won't be able to afford it.
    Last edited by Jeff Collins; 12-10-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Re Jeff Collin's comments above:
    He "gets" it and perfectly.
    I've said for years that the USA is under economic warfare from both Europe and China.
    I do high end computers for a living and have both bought and sold to people located all over the world.
    The reality is that if you want to import something computer related into the US there are no customs fees BUT try and send something to say France,Norway,Sweden,Germany,etc and guess what?
    Customs fees that we here would think insane.
    Some examples:
    To Norway: 25% of declared value
    To France: 100% of anything valued over $16.00..Yes, $16.00
    To Canada: Customs there is a private business that gets a percentage of their "take" so they benefit on what they can charge and the
    rule is 25% of anything valued over $40.00
    Argentina: Perfect example of protectionism. If your one of their citizens your not allowed to spend more than $2500.00 outside the country in any calendar year.
    Germany: Our wonderfull friends where we spent billions rebuilding their country after WW2 inspects EVERY package from anywhere outside the Europens Union and charges app 40% of declared value and not what you set as the value BUT what they decide it should be.
    Then there are the countries that value us as friends and the best example is Austrailia.
    NO customs fees on anything with a value under $1000.00
    As Jeff said, we're not on a level playing field and the biggest example of this is Boeing vs Airbus.
    One is a private company and the other is essentially supported by France in terms of low cost financing.
    Yes folks, we are at war and have been for years.
    Last edited by Movieman; 12-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I always try to buy American, heck I got the kids disliking the Chinese crap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentelmen, thank you for your patriotism!! It has gone on far to long that "We the People" have ignored this trend of "cheap foriegn labor and items" to our misfortune! If "we" don't do something soon we will al be working for some "Foriegn Corporate Entity" at sub-standard wages and benifits!! BUY AMERICAN for our own jobs and all our neighbors!!

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the sentiment here, but sometimes it is difficult. When I piled up about $7k worth of stuff brand new in boxes to build my motor, I was surprised to find out how many things, with historic brand names we all know, came from overseas or south of the border. Ford Racing, in particular -- as I recall, my shiny Ford Racing valve covers were made in Taiwan, and so was my timing chain cover. I think about 50% of my Ford boxes said "Made in [not the U.S.A.].

I have driven nothing but American cars for the last 14 years, but not because of patriotism, it's because Detroit is building stuff we want to drive. My daily driver is a Ram 1500. My wife is in a Caddy CTS-V with a Corvette motor and a 6 speed Tremec, that is one STUPID fast car. Before that she had a Dodge Magnum R/T hemi. Before that it was a Jeep Grand Cherokee when my son was very young.

Post Thanks / Like
    We can only vote at the ballot box on election day, but we can vote with our dollars everyday.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    AJ, it is even more complicated then that, there is a good chance your Ram was built in Mexico. The Magnum was probably built in Canada, just like my Volkswagon Mini van. (Made by Chrysler in Canada)
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    All Mopar hemi engines are built in Mexico, but my truck was built at the St. Louis plant (in fact, I still have that little blue sticker on the window, never took it off.)

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I have new Christmas gift rule - buy local and buy American whenever possible. If there isn't an American alternative to the product, we at least buy from a local, small business.

For the same reason, I try to buy all my FFR build supplies from vendors here before going to Summit or Jegs - which are both still good American companies, because I try to support the small shops first so that they're around when I truly need them.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    AJ, Edelbrock is one company that for the most part manufactures in the US. They may have some smaller items that are manufactured overseas I don't know but their foundry and machining is all US. I hope that buying American becomes a real trend for the US consumer.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, yes you are correct. In California. Vic Jr. stresses that, and it says "Made in USA" on every box (and even on their decals!!)