Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Dragging Collector Pipe During Hard Turns

Post Thanks / Like

Dragging Collector Pipe During Hard Turns

There's a twisty road in the foothills near my house that calls for spirited driving (when safe, of course). One of the turns is an off-camber right-hander that dips at the apex. When I'm going fast enough, the car leans just enough to scrape the bottom-most exhaust collector pipe on the driver side.

Anyone else run into this situation?

- m
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)

2. Likes dhuff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are your tire pressures, ride height, and springs? The only way to counteract that amount of body roll is by adjusting ride height and spring rates. I'm assuming your tire pressure isn't too low.
    MkII: 408 Dart block dry sump, 750cfm carb, G-Force T-5, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears, 3-link, Kirkey seats, black ceramic coated twister mufflers with shields and adjustable turn down tips, passenger roll bar, front and rear roll bars. 2020 GT500 Magnetic metallic, with white and lime green stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    15 years into this Factory Five stuff and I've never heard of this! Hardly anybody's engine, sidepipes, etc. are 100% level and square but I've never heard of a collector hit the ground in any situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry about it. It will eventually clearance itself.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

6. Likes GoDadGo, NAZ, toadster, WIS89 liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

8. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is your ride height set at? As stiff as these cars are, there is still a certain amount of roll that takes place..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFHwfJDfHsU

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's what's happening. Four inch main tubes are 4.5" front, and 4.75" rear. However, the collector tubes are probably only 3" or less. Right turn, my driver weight, off camber, and an apex dip/bump all combining to create the right condition.
    FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, TC, CC, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, RT pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s all around, Ford Magnetic Gray with custom Kandy Orange stripes (Ken's Custom Auto Body)

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy fix would be to take that corner a wee bit slower in the future. Besides a scratched up side pipe, you really don't want to risk possibly damaging your exhaust manifold.

I suppose you could start changing spring rates, add a sway bar, or modifying your suspension, but if it happens infrequently, why bother.

12. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your sidepipes are that low you must have shorty headers with j-pipes or cats. That being the case it sounds like they have come loose and pivoted down at the ball flange. Bring them back up where they belong, crank the heck out of the bolts at the flange and maybe consider adding a set of the Darkwater front hangers or fabricating your own.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to what Jeff said, you can put a hose clamp around the rubber hanger and crank it tighter which can raise your pipes on the hanger end. I have shortie headers and the heavy Flowmaster slimlines, and they haven’t moved in 4 years.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the recommendations. All good ideas - I'll start looking into them.

Post Thanks / Like
    AD34EDB2-4144-4360-9237-2CF4CB848126.jpegHad a similar issue with droopy side pipes when I bought my car. Honking on the bolts would help for about a month but got old. Put together the attached brace which has solved the problem for the past year. Before and after photos attached. 69CEC078-4ED1-465B-9C27-681FF0ECFA21.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
    I think that's what's happening. Four inch main tubes are 4.5" front, and 4.75" rear. However, the collector tubes are probably only 3" or less. Right turn, my driver weight, off camber, and an apex dip/bump all combining to create the right condition.
    Mark, are you running exhaust hangers?
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    If your sidepipes are that low you must have shorty headers with j-pipes or cats. That being the case it sounds like they have come loose and pivoted down at the ball flange. Bring them back up where they belong, crank the heck out of the bolts at the flange and maybe consider adding a set of the Darkwater front hangers or fabricating your own.

Jeff
    Spot on Jeff! I have a 4.6 DOHC with shorty headers and cats. The tips of my exhaust are only 2.75 inches from the ground. The pipes have a slight tilt to it. The off camber twisties get me. i'll try to crank down my hangers.

Thanks,
    Dewey

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Mark, are you running exhaust hangers?
    Hi, Travis. Yep, using the rubber hangers from the kit. The bracket is attached to both bolts on the side of the exhaust pipe, and it's hanging from the chassis using the middle hole of the bracket. The hole at the very end of the bracket isn't connected to anything. I seem to recall reading that this method would prevent cracking at the exhaust tab mounting area.

20. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for all your advice! Indeed, the driver's side j-pipe bolts were loose, and the whole assembly was hanging down. Torqued 'em down as hard as I could, this time with blue locktite. Also added a j-pipe hanger, and hose-clamped FFR rubber hangers at the other ends of both side pipes.

Will test through the weekend and make sure it all holds together.

20210415_172257.jpg

22. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
    Thanks again for all your advice! Indeed, the driver's side j-pipe bolts were loose, and the whole assembly was hanging down. Torqued 'em down as hard as I could, this time with blue locktite. Also added a j-pipe hanger, and hose-clamped FFR rubber hangers at the other ends of both side pipes.

Will test through the weekend and make sure it all holds together.

20210415_172257.jpg
    That'll work but you really need jamb nuts on that turnbuckle so that it holds the adjustment.

Jeff

24. Thanks Mark K thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will do...thank you!