Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Filler Pieces

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Filler Pieces

I started my build several months ago, but I find little chatter on the "289" forum. Not sure why. Here is the little dilemma I encountered. The attached picture shows the fuel filler pieces I received with the kit. The supplemental instructions for the fuel filler are not helpful and do not show the parts that you need. What I have found is that the long piece seems to be correct with the two 90 degree rubber pieces attached at each end. What seems to be missing is a short 90 degree metal tubing that comes out of the tank and attaches to the 90 degree rubber piece. Your thoughts / experience and pictures would be most helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Like I said, not sure why the 289 forum is not active. Here is the response to my question from FFR...
    One of the two lower “L” shaped pieces will get cut into a smaller, 90 deg. “L” and one end will go into the tank and rubber gasket/bung and other end will attach to one of the black rubber filler pieces. The top, sort of “S” shaped piece will then go into the open end of the black rubber filler neck and the other end of the “S” piece will get the other black rubber filler piece that will attach the “S” pipe end to the filler, Lemans cap.
    I reemphasized that the 289 Supplemental Instructions were not very helpful. On we go.

Post Thanks / Like

289 fuel fill line

Quote Originally Posted by John J Phillips View Post
    I started my build several months ago, but I find little chatter on the "289" forum. Not sure why. Here is the little dilemma I encountered. The attached picture shows the fuel filler pieces I received with the kit. The supplemental instructions for the fuel filler are not helpful and do not show the parts that you need. What I have found is that the long piece seems to be correct with the two 90 degree rubber pieces attached at each end. What seems to be missing is a short 90 degree metal tubing that comes out of the tank and attaches to the 90 degree rubber piece. Your thoughts / experience and pictures would be most helpful.
    Hi John,
    Just tonight I encountered the same challenge. I sent an email to Dave B at FFR, but he's apparently no longer employed there. Let me know if you've found out a solution.... and I'll do the same. Thank you,
    Dave Klee
    Build thread: facebook.com/ffr9906
    Dave Klee / BlueMud / [email protected]
    FFR 9906: A period-updated 289 USRRC/ FIA Racecar: https://www.facebook.com/FFR9906
    IRS, Ford 8.8" & brakes, TKO600, C5AE 289 / 331, Jim Inglese 8-stack, 15" wheels, low Kirkeys

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    Here's a pic of what I received and have attempted to mock up. I was getting ready to cut one of the L-shaped rubber pieces into 2 pieces: One short, straight piece to close the gap between the upper tube and filler cap and one 90-degree piece to connect the upper and lower tubes. The latter is not a perfect 90 but should be ok. I hesitate to permanently lock anything until I put the body back on. Not sure why I received 2 rubber pieces, BTW...
    Dave.
    20210629_200827.jpg
    Dave Klee / BlueMud / [email protected]
    FFR 9906: A period-updated 289 USRRC/ FIA Racecar: https://www.facebook.com/FFR9906
    IRS, Ford 8.8" & brakes, TKO600, C5AE 289 / 331, Jim Inglese 8-stack, 15" wheels, low Kirkeys