Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can someone ID this connector (or a suitable alternative)

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone ID this connector (or a suitable alternative)

I need to extend the harness that goes from the billet button on my E-Stopp parking brake (button is on the far left of the dash and control box is behind the glove box.). I've e-mailed E-Stopp and they don't sell an extension harness for the button. Does anyone recognize this connector, and possibly have any ideas where to get matching male/female parts and some pins? Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable alternative that's compact in size? it's just signal wires, so it doesn't need to carry any significant current. I checked my go-to Del City and they don't have any connectors that small. The only connector kit I have is Weatherpak and that would be massive overkill for this. I could butt-splice and heat-shrink the extra wire in, but they're pretty small wires so I'd prefer some sort of crimp-on solution designed for network/signal wires (my soldering skills are, well... I don't have soldering skills.)

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    That type of connector is somewhat generic, made by many companies. They are specified by the size of the pin that fits into it (they're usually square) and the on center pin-to-pin spacing, aka "pitch". Try searching for "5 pin header connector as a start". Digi-Key is a likely source.

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe be best to change to molex connectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhit View Post
    maybe be best to change to molex connectors
    after I posted this question I started researching Molex mini fit and micro fit connectors. They seem like a good solution. The only problem is the necessary crimp tool is $300. Yikes!
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    After digging in a bit more, I realized that connectors are typically ID'ed on their female ends. The male ends (as shown above) typically have no markings. I've since come to realize that the wiring throughout the dash and RF harness is a total mishmash of different brands of connectors, and that each "system" has it's own associated (expensive) crimper. So, trying to tie into these various connectors would be a very expensive proposition.

I would like to clean up some of the dash wiring by shortening leads, consolidating leads into fewer connectors, etc. In order to do that, I'd need to select a connector type to commit to. I already have the tools to crimp WeatherPaks for larger power connections and anything exposed to the elements, so the Molex Mini Fit line of connectors seems like a good middle-ground behind-the-dash connector family. They'll handle wire from 16-28 AWG and up to 13A of current. I have a "starter kit" (assorted connectors and pins) and crimper on the way. Hopefully a little clean-up will help sort out that rats nest behind the dash a little bit.