Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hello from Clermont Florida- Moved to Livonia MI

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Clermont Florida- Moved to Livonia MI

Hello all!
    I'm about to share a very long winded story of how I've come to this forum. So here it goes:

I'm TJ Yankee, 32 year old engineer, father of one, life long motorsports fan and beginning my FFR journey through these forums. In college, I was a part of UCF's formula SAE team, and really enjoyed designing and creating a Formula car every year. After driving that formula car though, I suddenly no longer cared what type of vehicle I had for regular road usage. I had a taste of sub 3 second 0-60s, pulling 1-2 Gs in the turns on a closed course, and the satisfaction of being one of the main builders of the car three years in a row. A street rod no longer interested me. I wanted a racecar, one I could let loose on a closed circuit and actually feel what it's capable of. But, as it does, life gets in the way and priorities change. So then I got an entry level engineering job, I got married, had a kid and bought a house. My car is a Chevy Spark (I wasn't kidding about not caring about the daily), the wife has a crossover for kid carrying, and we've settled into life as parents. One thing that hasn't changed is our love for motorsports. We go to the Rolex 24 in Daytona every year (14 consecutive years for me, 7 for the wife), we've been to a few F1 grand Prix in Montreal, but after getting a new higher paying job, my wife asked me a pretty hard hitting question I wasn't mentally prepared for:

"Okay, I know you don't care about daily driving a nice car. You want something cheap and safe, I get it. I like it. But what if you kept a boring daily, and had a weekend or special occasion car? Maybe autocross it occasionally or have a few track days a year in it. What would you want? "

I haven't thought about anything like that for myself in a long while. When I was younger, I always loved the black 67 Camaros, they looked so mean, sounded so good. But being an engineer, I wasn't too fond of a restored one, with all the obsolete tech, carbs, and the struggle to find replacements if something broke. I didn't want an old car under the skin. I wanted the look, but also wanted to experience the decades of advancement in technology and vehicle dynamics understanding.

Well, fate seemed to intervene, as we walked around a car show in Winter Garden, I spotted a FFR Roadster from afar, thinking it was an actual Shelby Cobra. My son was on my shoulders, and I nudged my wife and asked her, "Want to see a half a million dollar car?" Again, I'm not a classic car guru, most would probably know the differences immediately. I knew of the Cobra, but not any real specific details. As we got closer, I noticed modern brakes immediately, then after handing my son over and close inspection, I saw the FFR logo and how everything seemed brand new. I spoke with the owner and he told about FFR, the build process and I was sold. This is exactly what I wanted. The classic look, the modern design underneath and the build process that would bring me the satisfaction a restoration would have. After looking into FFR online, I saw the type 65 coupe and immediately knew that was the one. So, after sitting down and talking Financials, the wife and I agreed to a 5 year plan to get a FFR type 65 coupe. She is currently in school part time, and I have some financial goals I wanted to reach before diving into build process. This also gives me plenty of time to lurk on here and plan my build out, including the engine/ transmission combo. As well as other things I want, such as A/C (I live in Florida) and other interior options. I contacted FFR and got the free brochure packet and an super excited for the future. So hello all, that's my story and I'll be lurking mostly in the type 65 coupe forum. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the madness TJ. You've stumbled upon a great company supported by this awesome forum and surrounded by genuinely good car people. I'm down in Port Charlotte and currently have 1 Coupe and 6 Cobras in different stages if you need a fix.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey TJ. I'm in Winter Garden and have a Roadster. Anytime you want to pop in just give me a shout. Welcome!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi TJ,
    Fellow lurker here and learning a ton. Hope to see your build thread someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Hey TJ. I'm in Winter Garden and have a Roadster. Anytime you want to pop in just give me a shout. Welcome!
    That's awesome. Have you gone to the winter garden car show? I know they stopped it after covid hit, but I'm not sure if they plan on doing it in the fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee407 View Post
    That's awesome. Have you gone to the winter garden car show? I know they stopped it after covid hit, but I'm not sure if they plan on doing it in the fall.
    Yeah, it's typically January, April, June and September, but no dates on the books for 2021. Haven't been with the Cobra, but had a 67 Camaro that I took before.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum....I am in Edgewater...just south of Daytona. Got my first Factory five kit in December. Building a Daytona coupe, if ever in the area look me up. Hoping to have the car near complete
    late this fall if everything goes as expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome TJ! I'm in Punta Gorda and have a rebuilt/refurbished/upgraded Mk1. I know right now the Coupe is in your plans, but with your 5 year plan, who knows, the F9 would be a very mature car at that time? It'll give you all the speed and handling you're looking for. Not trying to talk you out or into anything! FFR is ever changing - adjusting with the times and in 5 years, who knows what will be available, or no longer available from FF? Good luck and welcome!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on my career progress and one step closer to a Coupe! I've accepted and started a new job at Roush Performance up in Livonia Michigan (greater Detroit Area). I'm currently working onsite, but the family is in the process of selling the Florida house and buying one up here. I'm currently at an extended stay while the house buying process is going thru and my wife and son are still at the Florida house as that one sells. So if there are any willing Coupe owners in Michigan, I'd love to check one out in person. Also, Roush has an open house and Car Cruise-in to support the Nascar event at MIS on August 19th (Thursday) from 5pm to 8pm. The Roush collection is pretty impressive, so if you wanted a stress free show to bring your FF to, this is a pretty cool one to go to while seeing some pretty unique racecars in Jack Roush's personal collection. One step closer to owning a Coupe! Maybe even two steps closer with the connections I now have at Roush! Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello TJ,
    Welcome to Mich. your just a mile away from where I grew up. Dad is still there.
    Roush is a great place lots of good guys there. You'll love it. We have a ton of FFrogs (Factory Five Owners)in the area and one of the
    places you can meet a bunch of them is in two weeks at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Not a ton of Coupes but more and more every year.
    We have even built and sold a couple of them.
    The Great Lakes Cobra Club will have a spot there with about 50 or so cars.
    Good time and a amazing event of 250000 cars and 1.2 million people in most cases.
    16 miles of cruising cars of every make and model.
    Check out the GLCC website and check out some events.
    Todd
    Todd Baumann
    FFR Build School Instructor 16+ Years Mott Community College
    FFR 2086 MKI, 22+ years on the road
    FFR 300 MKI Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Baumann View Post
    Hello TJ,
    Welcome to Mich. your just a mile away from where I grew up. Dad is still there.
    Roush is a great place lots of good guys there. You'll love it. We have a ton of FFrogs (Factory Five Owners)in the area and one of the
    places you can meet a bunch of them is in two weeks at the Woodward Dream Cruise. Not a ton of Coupes but more and more every year.
    We have even built and sold a couple of them.
    The Great Lakes Cobra Club will have a spot there with about 50 or so cars.
    Good time and a amazing event of 250000 cars and 1.2 million people in most cases.
    16 miles of cruising cars of every make and model.
    Check out the GLCC website and check out some events.
    Todd

That's the perfect even for me to check out some FF builds. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on my career progress and one step closer to a Coupe! I've accepted and started a new job at Roush Performance up in Livonia Michigan (greater Detroit Area). I'm currently working onsite, but the family is in the process of selling the Florida house and buying one up here. I'm currently at an extended stay while the house buying process is going thru and my wife and son are still at the Florida house as that one sells. So if there are any willing Coupe owners in Michigan, I'd love to check one out in person. Also, Roush has an open house and Car Cruise-in to support the Nascar event at MIS on August 19th (Thursday) from 5pm to 8pm. The Roush collection is pretty impressive, so if you wanted a stress free show to bring your FF to, this is a pretty cool one to go to while seeing some pretty unique racecars in Jack Roush's personal collection. One step closer to owning a Coupe! Maybe even two steps closer with the connections I now have at Roush! Cheers!
    Welcome to Michigan. I'm a bit north of you in Lake Orion. I have a completed Gen 3 Coupe (in its second driving season) and a Hot Rod Truck on the lift in process. A member of the Great Lakes Cobra Club. So will be at the Dream Cruise events. There are four Coupes that I know of in the club. Two Factory Fives. Mine and a Gen 3. Probably all will be at the Dream Cruise on August 21. We have other events and I get to most of them. You're welcome to drop by any time. https://greatlakescobraclub.com/event-schedule/. Or you're welcome to visit sunny Lake Orion for a visit. MIS is a bit far especially late in the day. But sounds like a cool event.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    MIS is a bit far especially late in the day. But sounds like a cool event.
    The Car cruise hosted by Roush is in Livonia at the Jack Roush Museum, which is centered in Roush's company compound.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-83.4058107

Its quite a bit closer than MIS, but if you're going to be at the Dream Cruise, I'm sure I'll find my way to the FF area and see you there. Roush puts on their own event because MIS is basically a home race for the company, but not for the race team, which is based out of North Carolina with the rest of the Nascar teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Car cruise hosted by Roush is in Livonia at the Jack Roush Museum, which is centered in Roush's company compound... but if you're going to be at the Dream Cruise, I'm sure I'll find my way to the FF area and see you there.
    Sorry, misunderstood the location of the Jack Roush event. Livonia is easy enough. But doesn't work with our schedule. For the Dream Cruise, the Great Lakes Cobra Club will be the Comerica Bank parking lot at 43332 Woodward Ave, Bloomfield Hills. Will be there all day. Many different brands in the club including FF. Although they're quite popular. No specific FF area.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.