Jim, I agree that a limited stroke on the M/C will make bleeding very difficult and suspect this is the cause of bleeding issues for so many.

Over the last several years I've read on this forum of folks that have installed their pedal assemblies in a way that limits the full stroke of the M/C. Usually they are installing the Wilwood balance bar system and are having trouble bleeding their brakes. Some have also come to the conclusion that if they loose either the front or rear brakes the other end will not provide any braking. My first thought is that the root cause of their bleeding and lack of redundant braking is installation error.

As you know, the M/C piston area is significantly smaller than the total piston area of the calipers connected to that M/C. On my car the ratio is 26.3:1 -- the total area of the caliper pistons is 26.3 times larger than the M/C piston area. So it takes a lot of M/C stroke to equal the displacement of even a small stroke of the caliper pistons. If my caliper pistons all move .010" it takes more than a 1/4" of M/C stroke to equal that displacement and at 6.25:1 pedal ratio, the pedal travels more than 1 5/8". So when I release the pedal and the caliper piston seals pull the pistons back maybe .010" it takes ~2" of pedal travel (including my free play) before pressure builds in the front braking system. I'm not sure most realize this relationship when setting up their brake system otherwise there would be more emphasis on ensuring the M/C pistons have full stroke.