Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headlight Retainer Rings - Where to Buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Retainer Rings - Where to Buy?

Hi all,

I’m in the process of replacing my MK3.1 headlights, and came to find the retainer rings were glued onto the existing bulb housings by the previous owner (probably to eliminate the problem with the clips). It doesn’t look like FFR sells just the rings alone, and I don’t want to shell out $130/ea for new light assemblies.

Is there a similar/identical part from another car, or do I need to wait for a generous forum member to offer up a couple retainer rings in the classifieds?

Regards,
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ymore24 View Post
    Hi all,

I’m in the process of replacing my MK3.1 headlights, and came to find the retainer rings were glued onto the existing bulb housings by the previous owner (probably to eliminate the problem with the clips). It doesn’t look like FFR sells just the rings alone, and I don’t want to shell out $130/ea for new light assemblies.

Is there a similar/identical part from another car, or do I need to wait for a generous forum member to offer up a couple retainer rings in the classifieds?

Regards,
    Nick
    IMHO those " rings " arn't specific to what FFR supplies .... they are generic and based on the size you are using .... do a google search ..... good luck .... Mike

3. Thanks Ymore24 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike,

I’ve tried the google search, and to clarify a bit further it’s the part pictured in the bottom/center of the FFR headlight assembly. If I purchase a generic version, is it as simple as redrilling holes into the plastic bucket or does it also require modification to the chrome bezel ring? I can see the chrome of the retainer ring when the chrome bezel is installed, so it doesn’t seem like an easy swap.

https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/110...ight-assembly/

5. Thanks GTBradley thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered just one from FFR more than a year ago for $25. The part number at that time was 14671 for just the trim ring on a Mk4. You’ll need to email or call as the part isn’t on their website.

Bradley.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

7. Thanks Ymore24 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ymore24 View Post
    Thanks Mike,

I’ve tried the google search, and to clarify a bit further it’s the part pictured in the bottom/center of the FFR headlight assembly. If I purchase a generic version, is it as simple as redrilling holes into the plastic bucket or does it also require modification to the chrome bezel ring? I can see the chrome of the retainer ring when the chrome bezel is installed, so it doesn’t seem like an easy swap.

https://www.factoryfiveparts.com/110...ight-assembly/
    OK I thought it was the part shown in that pic to be " upper right " ..... However I still think this a " generic " part ..... not something made to FFR specs. I suggest taking the pic to a couple of AUTO parts stores and see if they can help ..... good luck ... Mike

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this on Ebay looks like its the same as FFR but shipping from accross the pond. Might be able to track it with the info they supplied.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/26454214558...wAAOSwGpBd2AU-

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a 'common' headlight assembly, not a FFR made part.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

11. Thanks BLUE KNIGHT thanked for this post