Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Exhaust Headers - j-pipes - etc

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust Headers - j-pipes - etc

I have the 289 kit with a 306 engine package from BluePrint engines. I would like to know what others have done concerning the exhaust headers and j-pipes or catalytic converters. I contacted FFR and was told to use the BBK shorty headers with the j-pipes from FFR # 13861. When I asked if the cats # 14265 that they offer would work, I was told no. I have also seen on the forum that the pipes are loud, any suggestions?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 289 Ford HiPo in my Mk4 and used shorty headers and j pipes. You do need to support the J pipes to keep them from potentially cracking from the weight of the side pipes. Darkwater customs makes some or you can homebrew your own with parts from a hardware store for a bit cheaper.
    if you need cats for emissions, some have taken the J pipes to a muffler shop and had them weld some aftermarket cats in place, esp if the ones offered from FFR don't fit their 289 model.
    if noise is your concern, you can consider swapping the pipes out for aftermarket ones from gas 'n. they reduce the decibel level slightly, but offer a more mellow, less barky sound.
    I've seen others add vortex cones and exhaust augers as well into the side pipes, but will possibly affect scavenging overall performance.

edit
    just realized that the side pipes are different on the 289 vs MK4. Best bet would likely be to get cats welded in the j pipes or the side pipe cones/augers.
    Last edited by egchewy79; 01-13-2022 at 07:25 AM.

3. Likes Chainsaw liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John J Phillips View Post
    I have the 289 kit with a 306 engine package from BluePrint engines. I would like to know what others have done concerning the exhaust headers and j-pipes or catalytic converters. I contacted FFR and was told to use the BBK shorty headers with the j-pipes from FFR # 13861. When I asked if the cats # 14265 that they offer would work, I was told no. I have also seen on the forum that the pipes are loud, any suggestions?
    Thanks
    The cats sold by FFR will attach to the J pipes but you would have to alter the side pipes to make those work. Bob Boig, Boig Motorsports, will take your original side pipes and put a muffled section in the middle. I drove with the stock pipes for a short time and they were simply too loud for me. I have the Boig Motorsports pipes and they a big improvement. My J-pipes are not supported, and I have not had problems with the cracking. They are somewhat supported by the side pipe mounts that connect to the chassis bracket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I also had the Bob Boig treatment on me 289 side pipes. Unfortunately Bob passed away recently. His wife has said someone is taking over the business. If you’re pressed for time try tubular automotive in rockland, ma.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)