Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Hard Top- what to do with inside of hard top

Post Thanks / Like

Hard Top- what to do with inside of hard top

Hey everyone,

Its been awhile. Right now I am 90% done with my 33 Hot Rod. Just waiting on final paint and some cosmetics. Right now I am totally stuck with what to do with the inside of the hard top. I have the new version which does not have the indent for a headliner. What are people doing for head liners and the rest of the inside of hard top. Vinyl entire inside? Body fill, sand and smooth inside and paint? Mine shows blemishes of fiberglass so its not smooth to paint. PLEASE HELP!!!! If you have pics that would be so awesome. Thanks

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to look at this product for a interior finish. Light, thin, flexible. use black automotive silicone to adhere it.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/252386677630...SABEgIK-PD_BwE
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Thin layer of foam covered in Alcantara?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hNyZwUb4y4

Post Thanks / Like
    One not from my experience, I chose to smooth out the ceiling and not use the headliner supplied with the kit. It worked fine with one tiny gripe. When driving with the full sun overhead, the sun reflects off the hood and cowl onto the ceiling and directly into my eyes. I would install some sort of non reflective covering rather than paint next time around. enjoy..

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps some flocking? I think I saw a couple of guys doing that in some of the early truck builds

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I took mine to a local upholstery guy who does custom work here in the Chattanooga area. he used suede and a 3/8 upholstery padding. the edges wrap around the window/front and back glass edge. All of it was glued with 3m spray glue. when the glass went in it covered the material and the window molding did the same.roof3.jpgroof2.jpgroof 1.jpgwaterfall and inside roof.jpg
    one more thing. In the one picture taken from inside looking out the back glass. You can see the bolts that attach the roof. I took 3/4 backer rod (home depot) wrapped it with suede and pushed it into the gap. totally hid the bolt heads and easy to remove if needed. Sorry don't have a pic of it installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blade; 02-23-2022 at 05:01 PM.
    arrived July 18th 2019, first cart in Feb. 2020
    BluePrint Engines 383CI TKO600 GM Street&Strip
    Ridler wheels 17x 8 front 20 x 10 rear
    Toyo Proxes 245/35-17 front
    285/25-20 rear
    0mm offset finished Jan 2022

7. Likes JimLev, FF33rod, peterh226 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys for the feedback. Really appreciated it. With all my research I am thinking of going with Lizard Skin Sound Control and once that cures i will add Ceramic Insulation on top. Once that is done I will hit it with Lizard Skin Top Coat gloss black. I think it will keep heat and sounds out and also look really good. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33PizzaGuy View Post
    Thank you guys for the feedback. Really appreciated it. With all my research I am thinking of going with Lizard Skin Sound Control and once that cures i will add Ceramic Insulation on top. Once that is done I will hit it with Lizard Skin Top Coat gloss black. I think it will keep heat and sounds out and also look really good. Thoughts?
    The Lizard Skin will reflect sounds. That is why OEMs stick with felt for the ceilings of cars. I am sure that it will work, I just do not know if I would do that in the first place. As for heat, I am not sold on it. The heat from the roof is on the car all day. Sure, solar radiation will come through and insulation will slow that down. I am just guessing that car ceilings are only rated at R1 or less. It is just time before the heat comes through. Plus, I have never felt heat from the roof being an issue. From the windows and the firewall, it a different story. Then again, rolling down the windows and driving faster cures that.

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post