Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Custom Storage Bin Kit for GTM

Post Thanks / Like

Custom Storage Bin Kit for GTM

I know storage area in the GTM has been a hot topic in the past. I know this isn't a huge luggage-swallowing solution, but it is large enough to fit a 12-pack of your favorite beverage.

I know many GTM's probably already have this area tied up with other "stuff", but if you plan on this from the start of your build, it is a pretty darn large storage area! It can not be used with the factory shift linkage, but I have yet to send a car out of my shop with the factory linkage installed, so to me, this is not really an issue. This car has the Brandwood Cableshifter installed, which is what I use in most of my builds. The cable shifter is installed both lower and farther forward in this car than any other cars I've done, so this storage bin should fit most applications. I have left enough room between the front of the storage bin and the chassis to get the AC/Heater duct hoses to wrap around the corner and run forward, which I how I run all of mine anyway. Yes, they get squished down to an oval shape similar to the outlet on the AC unit, so there should not be much, if any increase in restriction thru the ducts. There is clearance above the bin for my Stereo Close-out Panel.

In this "kit", I will provide all of the aluminum pieces to make the bin assembly as well as the door. The bin is actually quite a bit taller inside than the door, but the door can not be any taller due to interference with the dash. All of it would be shipped as flat pieces and you would be responsible for making the bends, rivetting the sides and back of the bin together and figuring out the hinge and latch for the door. Once I get the latch for this car done, I will likely offer that as an option. The door is made from .080" aluminum and the bin enclosure is cut from .040" 6061 Alum. Price for this kit will be $129 plus shipping. I may be persuaded to perform all of the bends here at additional cost. Thanks!

Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice. Do you have a mech in mind for latching the door? Something that would be flush or close to flush?
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got the flush-mount latch yesterday and will probably work on that this week.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to update this thread, I now have the hinge and latch figured out:

As you can see, I'm using yellow masking tape for a hinge. Just kidding.... I have some steel piano hinge on order so that the hinge can be welded directly to the door, which I will be making out of 14ga steel. The latch is a black Southco flush-mount latch, which works out perfectly as that is right where the passenger's knee sits, so any sort of protruding knob just wouldn't work out very well. The latch striker is also included and there will be slotted holes already cut in both the striker and the enclosure so that the striker is adjustable for both depth and distance from the latch. Hole will already be cut in the door for the latch to fit and function with the included striker. I even made a nice threaded plate for the striker to attach to so that the plate covers the slotted adjustment holes (so you don't have hot tunnel air leaking into your storage area) as well as allows you to adjust the striker without having to access the back side of the enclosure once the car is completed.

I will provide a kit that includes all of the flat material pre-cut to create this storage area (you are responsible for forming the bends in the flat material), the door with latch hole pre-cut, the hinge (already welded to the door), the latch (possibly a key-lockable latch), the striker, the threaded striker mounting plate and screws. Kit price will be $169 plus shipping.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    A gallon of milk with room to spare and the whole area under the shifter available yet to boot!

Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane that looks great. How can I get one?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like it'll fit a 1911 and a few extra magazines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelster View Post
    Looks like it'll fit a 1911 and a few extra magazines
    Now you're speaking my language! I was actually thinking along those same lines while I was constructing it. My wife and most of my friends consider me a true gun-nut, and I'm pretty confident that I could fit ALL of my hand guns and all of my spare mags in there!......which obviously means I need more guns! :-) I'm guessing that even with the gallon of milk in there, you would STILL have more than enough room for your 1911 and a dozen spare mags.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe.....and anyone else wondering.....best way to order is to email me thru the contact info on my website and let me know what you want to order and your shipping address so I can reply back with a total and shipping quote. Thanks!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    email sent

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent you a pay-pal payment

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joe! I have the latches and piano hinge on order as of yesterday, so as soon as those items come in, I'll get everything boxed up and shipped out. Thanks!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC