Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Getting a key made...

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a key made...

Without ownership papers from the donor car.

I think I have the VIN and on one of the papers is written "key code" with a number. I only have 1 key for the car so it would probably be a good idea to get another one made. But with the immobilizer system tied into the computer and other stuff, how do I go about this? Anyone know what I would need to take to a Subaru dealer?

Thanks,

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with True Value hardware store in your area
    They are now making duplicates of transponder keys

Jet

Edit…sorry didn’t see the Ontario location
    Last edited by Jetfuel; 09-20-2022 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is going to vary a bit by how willing your local dealership is to work on what is to them a very strange situation. I've been talking to mine throughout the build, buying parts occasionally, asking the techs questions, each time coming in with progress pictures. When time came to get the immobilizer paired to a new key (I did not have a working key) they were happy to work with me. From my understanding of how the Subaru immobilizer system works, you can't make a key to a specific code (at least that's what I was told by a few locksmiths before going to Subaru) you have to have the ECU paired to whatever code a key already has. I got 2 keys, and they both had to be paired with the immobilizer, they were not the same code.

They needed VIN from the donor, and a chassis VIN to store in their system (the FFR VIN, or whatever that is on the frame). I brought in a stack of receipts and did have a copy of the donor car title from the junkyard that the motor was bought from, but I'm not sure that was explicitly required.

I'd recommend just starting an honest conversation with your closest dealer about what you're doing and what you hope they can help you with. Once the service managers write you into the system, the techs can have a new key cut and your ECU programmed for a half hour labor and you'll be out the door for around $230 (prices probably vary locally). They use their SSM system on a laptop so I suppose anyone that has one of those could do it too, though he did have to run inside to pull some sort of password, maybe that's something only Subaru has.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any first-hand experience with Subaru but have gone through a similar process with a Toyota. For the Toyota, as long as you have at least one working key, the process is pretty simple. You just buy a blank key and have it cut. Then, you follow a convoluted process of brake pedal presses and key turns to "add" the new key to the car's system. The ECU can store a certain number of keys in memory. I found the specific Toyota process by doing an Internet search and suspect you'll be able to do the same for Subaru. Any dealership should be able to help as well.

Here is an example: https://getjerry.com/questions/how-d...subaru-key-fob

Keep in mind that the process will likely differ based on the type of key and year of the car.
    Last edited by Papa; 10-20-2022 at 07:48 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I did find the 2 extra keys that came with the car. They are cut and fit the ignition switch, but have not been programmed. I tried a couple mobile places that cut and program car keys; no response from one and the other can't do Subaru keys. I'll contact a Subaru dealer and see what they say. Since a lot of the wiring and switches have been removed, I don't think a process for programming it myself will work, but I'll see if I can find a specific procedure that doesn't involve things like door switches.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a key made. A mobile unit came out to do it. I didn't tell them on the phone that it was not an ordinary Subaru. The guy pulled up and asked where the car was. I pointed to it and said "right there". "That's a Subaru?".

He ended up "cloning" the key I had onto a new one he cut. This is what he told me, and he seemed to know his stuff and was honest about what he was doing. He said that you don't actually copy a key for a Subaru. You make a copy onto a cut key, then program through the OBD port to tell the computer to redo the information on the new key. So it basically wipes out the old key information and puts in new data. He was concerned that if he did it that "normal" way, it might wipe out the old key information and not be able to input the new data since the wiring may be missing something important for that function. He showed me that his super-duper scanner that was supposed to download all the data from the computer was giving him some strange messages. So it might have worked with the normal way of doing it, but it might have left the car unable to start. So cloning makes a copy of the original key onto a new one without using the cars computer or wiring at all. I don't really understand how this is not "copying" but he said copying involved letting the computer know what you have done. I think this is in line with what "lpmagruder", above, described.

Anyways, I have an extra key now so all is good.

Rick