FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5-point seat belts

Post Thanks / Like

5-point seat belts

Winter is officially here, some I am buckling up a few remaining to-do items from my build of this past year.

Simple question (in theory...): What are you doing for a fifth mounting point for the kit-provided Simpson harness and the kit-provided low-back seats?

Thx!

Post Thanks / Like
    33 hot rod here but fyi I was told by FFR that there was no official way to use the crotch strap.

I drilled a hole through the seat frame to attach and cut my seats and then added the plastic pieces you can buy to finish the hole. Pics and instructions in my build thread..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Great reference! Where did you find the plastic bits for the belt feed?

You put in hardboard support for the foam. Was this seatbelt specific, or an improvement on the seat in general?

Thx!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that breeze kit angles the seat back and adds that support.. not needed for the seatbelt mod.

The part I bought was https://blackrhinoperformance.com/sh...rness-inserts/
    James

6. Thanks LateApex thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ill Chime in as well. For my Coupe i also used the low back seat that came in the kit. I ended up (right or wrong) bolting the center belt to the seat. If not you would have to add/weld additional bracing to mount it to the chassis. Not sure if and how many time i would really use the center belt.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dstelter View Post
    Ill Chime in as well. For my Coupe i also used the low back seat that came in the kit. I ended up (right or wrong) bolting the center belt to the seat. If not you would have to add/weld additional bracing to mount it to the chassis. Not sure if and how many time i would really use the center belt.

Doug
    Hi Doug. Did you also cut the seat cushion leather to align that fifth point with the chest line per Simpson's instructions? Or otherwise, how did you route that center strap?

I am quite comfortable with a "4-point harness" for local driving, but am looking at the fifth point to meet certain track requirements. Being that my seats are already installed, I'll likely cinch the strap to a suitable seat frame cross-member similar to how the shoulder belts are cinched to the roll bars, instead of bolting to the seat frame. I am no tech inspector tho ...

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the 4 point harness i agree.

Routing for the strap with the supplied seats is not an issue. not needing to cut or make a hole in the seat. Already there.
    IMG_0062.jpg

center bolted to the seat, not the greatest pic.
    center belt bolt.jpg

As for more support or adding bracing.... if you are still in the build and haven't riveted down the floor plates then you definitely could do that. I had to add a cross brace to both sides. the back side closest to the transmission tunnel for the seat slides to be mounted.
    slider mount.jpg

if needed i can always go back and add the brace for the center seat belt. much harder now since i have the floor plates in. (to pass any tech needed). not sure how much track time the car will see....

hope this helps
    doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dstelter View Post
    As for the 4 point harness i agree.

Routing for the strap with the supplied seats is not an issue. not needing to cut or make a hole in the seat. Already there.
    IMG_0062.jpg

center bolted to the seat, not the greatest pic.
    center belt bolt.jpg

As for more support or adding bracing.... if you are still in the build and haven't riveted down the floor plates then you definitely could do that. I had to add a cross brace to both sides. the back side closest to the transmission tunnel for the seat slides to be mounted.
    slider mount.jpg

if needed i can always go back and add the brace for the center seat belt. much harder now since i have the floor plates in. (to pass any tech needed). not sure how much track time the car will see....

hope this helps
    doug
    Interesting - my seat has no such pre-cut / trimmed hole ...

Have sharp tools, will travel ... :-)