Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Coyote Expansion Tank - Mishimoto

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Expansion Tank - Mishimoto

Hello,

Anyone have experience with the Mishimoto Mustang direct fit expansion tank? I know most use the Moroso or Canton tank, but I like the idea of having a site tube. However, I am not sure if the site tube will interfere with the hood hinges (using stock FFR hinges).

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    For anyone interested in expansion tank options for the Coyote Gen2, I did end up using the Mishimoto tank. Like the Moroso and Canton, it is a direct fit Mustang OEM replacement. It seems well made and I like having the site tube. It also carries a lifetime warranty. I installed it similar to how others installed their Moroso tanks.

Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

3. Likes Tooth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lidodrip View Post
    For anyone interested in expansion tank options for the Coyote Gen2, I did end up using the Mishimoto tank. Like the Moroso and Canton, it is a direct fit Mustang OEM replacement. It seems well made and I like having the site tube. It also carries a lifetime warranty. I installed it similar to how others installed their Moroso tanks.

That tank looks to be about the same dimensions as the Moroso. If so, I'd be more concerned about hood clearance. You look a bit high.

Post Thanks / Like
    That does look high. You want whatever upper bracket you fab to be roughly even with the bottom edge of the 3/4" cross brace (see photo below). Yours appears to be more in line with the middle of that brace. It may still fit like that, but that's higher than I've seen anyone else install it.

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3543 - Copy (1024x683).jpg I had the same idea with the Moroso tank, if you look at the picture of the tank you can see 1 of the bosses I had Tig welded into the tank to accept a 1/4 NPT sight glass. There are 2 an upper and a lower.
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks BradCraig and JohnK - the tank might have just cleared the hood, but too close for comfort. I made a new bracket that lowered it to the bottom edge of the square tube and also moved it back a little. Clearance is no longer an issue and I will sleep better. Appreciate the help.

James

8. Likes JohnK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know if this is the same model? I'm going for black-out engine bay: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmrtmus15ebk
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo_texas View Post
    Do you know if this is the same model? I'm going for black-out engine bay: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmrtmus15ebk
    That's the same one.

James

11. Likes dbo_texas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the same one.

James
    Hi James,
    I just mounted my Mishimoto tank (see my mounting HERE) - EdwardB pointed out I might be a tad too high. I positioned mine so that the mounting flange on the tank is even with the bottom corner of the 3/4 frame tube. The Mishimoto tank does look taller than the Moroso tank, and the cap threads are longer too because it has that extra vent port coming out of it. Looks like you repositioned yours and I was wondering if you could provide some reference dimensions since I have the same tank as you. Can you tell me how high the top face of the tank sits above top of the 3/4" frame tube? I'm right around 2". I'm guessing with the hood curvature, how close to the center you are mounted might make a difference for clearance as well (with more clearance near the middle of the hood). I show a left-to-right reference dimension in my build thread - I'm about 5" from the side of the tank to the center over the frame bracket where you mount the hood hinges. Any guidance/confirmation on this position would be much appreciated! It took a while to make my brackets, and if I have to re-make them I will....it will just be a PITA and I'll have to drill out some rivets.

2nd question - the Mishimoto tank does have the extra port coming out of the cap threads which the Moroso tank doesn't have. I hadn't looked closely at the Mishimoto instructions yet for where that routes to. Have you determined where to plumb that or does it just get capped off?
    Last edited by dbo_texas; 01-09-2023 at 10:03 AM.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had one on a shelf for a while now, just haven't gotten to that point in the build. Some good pointers here. Hopefully I remember them when I get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dbo_texas View Post
    Hi James,
    I just mounted my Mishimoto tank (see my mounting HERE) - EdwardB pointed out I might be a tad too high. I positioned mine so that the mounting flange on the tank is even with the bottom corner of the 3/4 frame tube. The Mishimoto tank does look taller than the Moroso tank, and the cap threads are longer too because it has that extra vent port coming out of it. Looks like you repositioned yours and I was wondering if you could provide some reference dimensions since I have the same tank as you. Can you tell me how high the top face of the tank sits above top of the 3/4" frame tube? I'm right around 2". I'm guessing with the hood curvature, how close to the center you are mounted might make a difference for clearance as well (with more clearance near the middle of the hood). I show a left-to-right reference dimension in my build thread - I'm about 5" from the side of the tank to the center over the frame bracket where you mount the hood hinges. Any guidance/confirmation on this position would be much appreciated! It took a while to make my brackets, and if I have to re-make them I will....it will just be a PITA and I'll have to drill out some rivets.

2nd question - the Mishimoto tank does have the extra port coming out of the cap threads which the Moroso tank doesn't have. I hadn't looked closely at the Mishimoto instructions yet for where that routes to. Have you determined where to plumb that or does it just get capped off?
    Hello Darryl,

The second set of brackets I made used a piece of aluminum right angle which lowered my tank to the same level as yours, but it also pushed it back a little too (gaining some more clearance). I just finished fitting the body to the frame and with the hood sitting in the opening (not mounted to hinges, no bumpers or weather stripping installed), there is easily 1" of clearance between the hood and cap (I was not able to get a good photo of the clearance). Below are some photos with measurements as well as one that shows the cap as it relates to the recessed lip of the hood opening (using a string). I suspect that your tank location is probably ok, but a little hard to tell from the pictures. You tank is a little closer to the passenger side and farther forward. When I mounted my body, I did use the method of adding a 5/8" spacer on the top of the 3/4" rail by the hood hinges (as described by Jeff K/Jeff M). This makes the body float over the 3/4" rails (not fastened to the rails). Because I have the body mounted, it is a little difficult to get a direct height measurement from the 3/4 rails. When I was mocking things up while installing the tank, I did run some 3/4" thick boards across the top of the 3/4" frame rails where the front and back of the hood would go. I then placed the hood on top of the boards to approximate clearance which seems to be conservative when judging clearance.

With regards to the overflow port, I unscrewed the existing fitting and replaced it with an aluminum 1/8" NPT plug - see photo below.

Feel free to reach out with any questions, the tank will definitely fit. If you need any other photos or dimension, let me know. I like the tank (which has a lifetime warranty), particularly the site tube.

Hope that helps,
    James

Last edited by Lidodrip; 01-09-2023 at 10:55 PM.

15. Thanks dbo_texas thanked for this post
    Likes dbo_texas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure that overflow power is a 1/8 NPT thread? I bought some plugs to try to swap it out. Something strange with the port because I had one hell of a time getting it out....almost like it was stuck after a few rotations. I kept going and was able to get it to release, but the threaded end looks a little mangled. I compared the threads to the 1/8 NPT plugs I bought but they aren't even close to the same size (see pic below). I'm wondering if maybe the Mishimoto port is something else, like maybe a 1/16 NPT? I'm worried the internal threads on the tank might be damaged since it is aluminum. Wondering if I could drill it out and tap it for the 1/8 NPT plugs. Just checking to see if you remember anything strange with this port / thread size?

Last edited by dbo_texas; 01-16-2023 at 05:49 PM.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer. My port came out fairly easily and the threads were not damaged. I will see if I can find the packaging from the plugs I used, but I was pretty sure they were 1/8 NPT. However, your picture is worth a thousand words. Those threads look pretty chewed up. I wonder if they cross threaded your port? Since you have the 1/8 NPT plug I would tap a new hole and use your plug - then there are no questions.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer. My port came out fairly easily and the threads were not damaged. I will see if I can find the packaging from the plugs I used, but I was pretty sure they were 1/8 NPT. However, your picture is worth a thousand words. Those threads look pretty chewed up. I wonder if they cross threaded your port? Since you have the 1/8 NPT plug I would tap a new hole and use your plug - then there are no questions.

James
    The good news is that it looks like my tank+cap will clear the hood with about 1/2 inch to spare.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]

19. Likes Lidodrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

James
    FYI for anyone interested - I emailed Mishimoto and they confirmed the overflow nipple thread size is 1/16 NPT, so that mystery is solved.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]