Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  60
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ok, Here I Go

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not too heavy to lift and turn on its side, plus you gain floor space to work around it! I have a 4 post lift but I still sit it on its side and use the lift to raise and lower to an agreeable (for my back) height.

2. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve used a cart about 28” tall for my entire build. It seems to be a comfortable height. It has 4 hd casters so I can move it about. A fully assembled car isn’t easy to push while on the cart. The center of gravity is just above the drivers head in the center of the car.
    Kit #361, arrived 10/2015, still in progress
    818C highly modified, corvette suspension
    Estimated completion summer 2023!
    1989 turbo Supra 5 sp
    2017 Tundra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    I’ve used a cart about 28” tall for my entire build. It seems to be a comfortable height. It has 4 hd casters so I can move it about. A fully assembled car isn’t easy to push while on the cart. The center of gravity is just above the drivers head in the center of the car.
    Lance, you have a very short torso if the center of gravity is above your head. Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    I remember the position well. My favorite picture of my son and his best friend helping with a similar part of the project: Attachment 178257
    That’s a good picture. After a long time of not much getting done, I’ve had a small run of progress. Almost ready to put your rivet gun to use!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I should’ve said the lift point of balance is about where your head is. I’m using a crane, so I put my strap around my roll bars above where my head is. Does that make any sense?
    Kit #361, arrived 10/2015, still in progress
    818C highly modified, corvette suspension
    Estimated completion summer 2023!
    1989 turbo Supra 5 sp
    2017 Tundra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Bob, I should’ve said the lift point of balance is about where your head is. I’m using a crane, so I put my strap around my roll bars above where my head is. Does that make any sense?
    Yes Lance lifting point balance make more sense.

I have been tinking about finding the COG of my finished car. From that point I want to pull sidways on the car at 1.2 G's to make sure all 4 wheels are pependicular to the ground giving me the best traction in corners.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi jbs72697. This is Davis out in Springfield Ma area. I have a first gen 818s, white with the original difficult to work with front end. There is another guy in Monson Ma with a 818s similar to mine and someone else almost done with 818c in red. Anything we can do to help, let me know. Davis

9. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Davis. Thank you very much for the offer. Im really not that far along in the build despite having my kit here for almost two years ��
    But I am still doing what I can on it and if I complete a significant step I will post some pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My 92 year old dad is in the hospital. He’s been declining a lot lately and is very frail and weak now. It’s possible he may not last a long time (I hope I’m wrong). He was interested and enthusiastic about me building the 818. I even took him down to FFR to see the showroom and take the factory tour when they still held them
    It makes me sad that he probably won’t be able to see the finished car in person. Even if I took pictures to show him they wouldn’t be very impressive unfortunately

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, Judd. Maybe as Spring arrives in New England he'll rally a bit too. As always I'm available to help with the 818 project.
    Ivan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you ivan. I do hope he will do better in the hospital getting the proper treatment and take it from there
    Between him and the spring uptick at work the 818 isn’t getting too much attention

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am very sad to say dad passed away peacefully early Wednesday morning. My wife and I were there by his side holding his hand as he took his last breath. Though I’m glad we were with him (and my mom a couple years ago) it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done
    He instilled my enjoyment of mechanics and was a great teacher. I’m extremely sorry he won’t see the 818 when it’s done. I guess I’ll have to figure out a frame to display his prayer card, as well as the other family members we’ve lost the past few years

Post Thanks / Like
    jb so sorry for your loss
    May he forever find everlasting peace

Jet

16. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry for your loss JB! My condolences to you and your family.

18. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We had Dad’s services on Friday. It all went great. The funeral home was very professional and made the whole process easier. Even though dad won’t see the 818 completed, maybe I can stick his prayer card to his tool chest he passed down to me so he’ll be with me during the process.
    Love you dad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jbs72697; 04-30-2023 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Photo orientation

20. Thanks Jetfuel, Bob_n_Cincy thanked for this post
    Likes blomb11, Shawn818c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Taking a lie down break to stop the dizziness that began again while doing a little bit of work on the 818 today
    0961D5BA-5A5D-4D24-A8C4-196AC8735FA2.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Touch the project every day, if you can. If you can work on it 2 hours a day, it will happen. I like to set out tools and materials for the next step before I leave the shop so I can slot right back in without having to figure out what's next. Momentum

Ed

23. Thanks jbs72697 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I’m going to make a real effort to stay consistently doing something with it every day, even if I can only last a few minutes at a time. With everything else going on lately I have neglected it big time!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement

Post Thanks / Like
    My nephew wanted to build an airplane but wasn't sure he could so he decided to set aside 2 hours every day starting with cleaning out his garage. It took him a couple few weeks, and he got it done so he ordered a sheetmetal practice kit figuring that if he could stick with that and do it OK, he'd order a tail kit. He got the tail kit and started in on that with the thought that if he could do it and not mess it up, he'd consider ordering wings. Well those are now built and in the den (he's building in a 1 car garage) and he's done with most of the fuselage and working on the finish kit with engine and prop on order. The big takeaway for him has been the joy and satisfaction of not only learning new skills and seeing lots of eye candy grow, but the pride he's taking in his own perseverance. He didn't think he had it in him.

I rebuilt an airplane and built another one. I went flying today after driving the car I built up and down a really fun canyon road. What I have learned is how to be too stubborn to take no for an answer when a project is difficult. Sometimes I have had to drop tools and walk away before I damage something - and that's not easy either - but I always come back and tackle it with a new idea and a fresh attitude. Frustration is a thing for sure, but I think the satisfaction of solving problems and moving ahead is far more powerful. Remember, you aren't building a car, you are building small portions of a car until, one day, the to do list comes down to stuff like filling the fluids and trying to start it up. Then you still have the body to look forward too. ;-)

Ed

26. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What helped me maintain motivation and momentum in my build was entering in car shows. First show I brought it to the car hardly had any bodywork on it and no wiring harness at all. We pushed it up onto a trailer and brought it in its current state. People we super curious and supportive. I am taking it back to that same show again this weekend with the car running and most of the body together. Things aren't quite lined up and there are still many things to do, but what I have noticed is that people don't seem to care if it isn't done. They respect that it is a huge undertaking and love seeing it progress. It fills me with joy and motivation to bring it back each time with more work completed. Although towing it there every time is getting annoying. Hopefully next year the car will be road legal and I can just drive it there.

In short, set goals for yourself and make a checklist of things you need to do to get there. Check one box at a time and try to ignore the others if possible. It's very easy to feel overwhelmed and just do nothing. Tackling small tasks may seem somewhat insignificant at the time, but when they add up over time you will wonder how you came so far. When I am done working on the car for the night, I often just stare at it for another 30 minutes in disbelief that I have come this far while simultaneously planning my next project to tackle on it. You'll get there!

28. Likes Nigel Allen, jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey I actually finished a step, the front firewall!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs72697 View Post
    Hey I actually finished a step, the front firewall!
    Judd: Glad to hear you are back at it. Remember I'm 5 miles away with lots of time on my hands and glad to help. Even if just parking my 818 in your driveway for motivational support. Give me a call when you plan to be out in the garage.
    Ivan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    Judd: Glad to hear you are back at it. Remember I'm 5 miles away with lots of time on my hands and glad to help. Even if just parking my 818 in your driveway for motivational support. Give me a call when you plan to be out in the garage.
    Ivan
    Hi Ivan. Thanks for offering, but next task to do is to pack it all away for a while. We’re finally going to replace and expand the garage! Im pretty excited at the prospect of not having to climb over and negotiate through all the stuff in the way to even do any work! My dizziness is still constant but had some tests that may finally give some answers so it can be treated by the time the garage is done

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123