Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: "Blueprint Engines" - To Be Used In A MK4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb "Blueprint Engines" - To Be Used In A MK4 Roadster

Hello, everybody! I am a brand new member to the forum and have had some interest in eventually having a Factory Five MK4 Roadster 'full kit' built in the coming years. On the Factory Five web page, they have a link to "Blueprint Engines" - one of their preferred vendors who has several various engines (and transmissions) available that are compatible and seem to be almost a "drop in" direct fit for the Factory Five kit cars.

They have everything from a mild 302 Ford on up to the wild 427. I think that the 306 or even the 347 would be the top choices for a car that is so lightweight. 370 to 410 horsepower would be more than enough to get somebody into deep trouble! If one were to budget $15,000 - $20,000 or so for the drivetrain (no need for independent rear suspension, power steering or A/C), the biggest choice to make aside from the engine would be whether to go with a carburetor or fuel-injection. It seems as if the power difference is negligible, but the cost varies a good bit.

For those of you who have built these cars, was the Blueprint Engine a good fit? Was the installation seamless without having to hunt down or "fabricate" parts? My mechanical ability is rather limited and if I ever do buy one of these kits in the future, I am going to have to hire someone to do a lot of the work with/for me. Just trying to think ahead - so to speak.

Is a total "turn key" amount close to $80,000 a reasonable figure to spend for an "all new" MK4 with a good-quality Blueprint engine, paint, tires, wheels, etc.? I figure about 30k for the full kit & some options + 20k for engine/trans/axle, radiator, etc. + another 30k for labor, paint, wheels, bumpers and what not. I am going to try to learn more about this entire process and figure out whether it is ideal to "build out my own" car or try to buy a used one that wasn't beaten all to hell.

In my life, I have owned four Mustang GT coupes and my wife & I had two Corvettes. All were "fast" for what they were, but I realize that a Factory Five is a whole different animal. I have never driven a 'kit car' before - but a friend of the family had one back in the late 1990s (used a Fox Body Mustang as a donor car) and it was wicked fast. I understand that one built today would have a lot more power than that old 5.0L (302) V8 with 225 hp.

I am retired now (four years earlier than expected) and would be starting this process in a few more years after my wife retires for the second time. It took a few years of planning before I bought my first Corvette and I don't expect this to be any different (although there will be more to it). This a very early part o the process for me and - of course - it is possible that I may decide that it is not a good idea in the end. Hoping to learn a lot on this forum and I thank ANYONE for a reply or any insight you might be able to give a pure newbie. Peace!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. To the forum and to retired life. I highly recommend both! The questions you're asking are talked about a lot on here. You owe it to yourself, and sounds like you have the time, to spend some quality time on the forum reading build threads, questions from other new builders, etc. Yes, you'll get responses on this thread. But there are dozens more to build your knowledge and decide for yourself. Specifically to your points -- yes, Blueprint engines are a choice many make and the smaller block engines (302, 306, 347) are an easy fit and unless you're modifying or doing something unusual, little/no fabrication required. I started with carbs on my builds and now only do EFI. Highly recommended. Regarding A/C, power steering, and IRS -- A/C isn't real common with the Roadster, but some install it. It's tight and adds some complexity. Unless you're in a hot climate and plan for a top, probably not worth it IMO. Power steering -- don't make the mistake (very common) of only thinking of it as reducing effort. It's almost completely about improved front end geometry (increased caster) that significantly improves how the car drives. Dozens of threads on the subject. IRS -- universally recognized as the best riding and usually the best handling of the suspension choices. No need? I question that assessment. Depends on how you plan to use the car and your expectations. For the budget numbers you cite, I'd strongly recommend you consider it. You won't regret it. There are options to make the added cost manageable. You also mention "limited mechanical ability." I'd recommend the build school to get a hands on look at the effort, skills, and tools to build one of these. Many use it as a sanity check to see whether this is a project for them. In addition to what they learn in the process. Good luck.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-22-2023 at 06:51 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks Todd Baumann thanked for this post
    Likes Lickity-Split, Todd Baumann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

$80k will get you an all new roadster constructed to your specs by one of several pro builders here and you’ll never have to turn a screw.

Jeff

5. Thanks frankeeski, JK 23112 thanked for this post
    Likes Todd Baumann, frankeeski liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    BPE is a good source but pricey (what's not). May I recommend Forte's parts? www.fortesparts.com. Mike own and picks up the phone. He built me an awesome 427 and the engine tranny package was less than BPE with the same horsepower and he stands behind his parts. He knows these cars, knows what fits and sells quality stuff. The engine/tranny setup he sent me was a plug and play set up. Not a major pain in the *** to install.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

7. Thanks JK 23112 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So my recommendation is to go with a blueprint engines. I did their basic carbed 302 with power steering and T5. The engine showed up already assembled and slid right in. The biggest advantage of the blueprint is the warranty. I actually used it and they support it. I have a starter solenoid break and they sent me a new one no questions asked. I also had an issue with the plug wires dropping onto the exhaust and they sent me some valve cover plug wire brackets free of charge. To me this was worth the money not to mention them answering every crazy question I came up with.

9. Thanks JK 23112 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My best recommendation is to find some local builder/owners. Most will be more than happy to 'mentor' you and be a sounding board for every question, no matter how dumb or basic you think it is. Great way to borrow specialty tools too! Otherwise add $2k just at harbor freight! You can spec a car pretty damn well for $80k. It's really fun and rewarding, and doable for the first timer no-problem. The build school was fun, but does give you a false sense of the whole project being easy-bake-oven ish. Its not just assembly, you do have to learn, make decisions, solve problems with some creativity, and BUILD the car. Which is exactly what I was looking for. Get obsessed with these forums, you will learn so much.
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    Mk4 Roadster complete kit Chassis F5R1010480RD
    Ordered Dec 2021, Delivered Sept 2022, First start Mar 2023
    Completed October 2023
    IRS, Wilwood, 17" wheels, Forte 427W/TKX/EdelbrockEFI

11. Likes JK 23112 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am now more qualified than ever to speak to engine choice. I've had 3 engines of varying horsepower in exactly the same Factory Five, and I also have a Superformance.

My Factory Five has had a:

270 hp 306
    325 hp 306 (notable difference)
    450 hp 347 (huge difference)

The Superformance has a 525 hp Roush 427. What I can positively say is the Superformance does not feel any faster than the Factory Five with 450hp. The gearing is not the same and the shifter isn't even the same so it's a different driving experience, but if I ever built another Factory Five I would not spend another $4,000 on a 427 over a 347 just to go faster. People love that number 427, of course.

13. Thanks JK 23112 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I built my car with all new pats and chose BPE for the engine/trans. I can say with confidence that BPE's products are about as drop-in ready as you'll find. Although I don't have experience with Mike Forte, I believe he can provide much the same. Why did I go with BPE? 1. completely assembled and crated engine and transmission -- no guess work with a clutch, oil pan, accessory drive, etc. 2. A real good warranty that starts when you start the engine, not when it ships to you. I opted for the 347, which I feel is a great compromise on cost/power/performance. I also chose to go with power steering, which BPE provides a proper pump as part of the accessory drive. I know you'll get many opinions on whether it's needed or not, but I never hear of anyone that has it wishing they didn't. The other option I chose was to go with EFI. You can read my build thread linked below for details on my EFI trials and tribulations. Short story, you get what you pay for and I now have a very nice Inglese 8-stack EFI setup after two TBI setups that I'd previously had on the car. You'll also get a lot of debate over carb vs. EFI, but I live at a high altitude and carbs are not the best option in my opinion. Do your research and see what fits your needs, use, and budget best. The budget you are looking at is definitely on the high end, but if you plan for that, you will have a real good shot at coming in well under budget. A top-end build can definitely run $60K or more. Paint & Body should not be more than $10K for a driver. It's a small car!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I too went with the BP. 347 with tko only problem I had was when BP put the lifting brackets on the engine they pinched the 02 sensor cable , one call to BP and they shipped me a complete new sniper kit , swapped out the sniper unit and it fired up 1st try . Shipped the damaged sniper back . Great support staff .
    Last edited by Wayne r mckee; 02-23-2023 at 03:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I greatly appreciate the information. I am still WAY EARLY in this processs...........just gathering information and seeing if the whole thing is even a viable idea in the first place. I might be in a situation where my eyes end up being bigger than my brain. LOL!

I have "ordered" a Mustang and a Corvette before, but spec-ing out one of these cars brings "custom" to a whole new level. This will be a long process, but I certainly am in no hurry.

Have an outstanding day, folks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you’re in the Columbus, OH area at the end of June, you could attend the London Cobra Show and talk to hundreds of owners and maybe get some rides. I’ll offer one. You will see every level of build and talk to some awesome people.
    Built FFR9457. 351 Windsor, TKO600, 3.73. Fitech EFI. Russ Thompson throttle pedal, turn signal, and trunk pan. Carbon Fiber dash with Speedhut Revolution gauges. Paint by Jeff Kleiner.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a cool idea. I won't be anywhere near there, but I am going to have to keep my eyes out for other such car meetings.

I appreciate the reply & offer!!