BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body Location On a Older Build

Post Thanks / Like

Body Location On a Older Build

I have posted a few threads about my dash upgrade and things not fitting very well. I had a precut dash and when I went to test fit I noticed that I could see the 3/4 tube above dash. If I shove up high enough to cover this it is very apparent the dash is running up hill on the passenger side. I have the under dash filler panel and it appears to be parallel to the 2x2 tube and in the threads I've searched this 2x2 tube should be parallel to the dash when installed. I even purchased a new dash from FFR and its the same so It has to be my car.

The radius at the cowl is uniform across so this leads me to believe the body may be high on the passenger side. The car is a MK3 and can someone tell me how wide the cowl lip is? Maybe its trimmed to short. The drivers side covers no problem. When installing body bolts should the holes fall directly over the chassis holes in the relaxed position? I considered removing them to see if this was the case.

With the dash installed and if you stand behind the car and look you can see that the dash is running uphill on the passenger side.

I never noticed this with the old dash and it may have been the same. I suspect the dash was running uphill and with the covering it just hid the 3/4 tube.

Is the anywhere to get some good measurements to verify? I know the body sits on the firewall bulb seal and the passenger extension bulb seal. Looking inside the car the seal appears to be compressed a good bit and maybe the body is held up on this side.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks
    FFR# 3247,3535,3730,3951,4338, and 5665. Currently own 5665.

Post Thanks / Like
    Older build. Is this a Gen I or II? Gen I bodies were only attached to the frame at the bumper or lift locations. I would suspect that either something is holding that part of the body high orthe body was attached somewhere else forcing the body up. With that said, do the doors fit properly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the doors fit. The car has been on the road since 2007. Its a MK3 kit was purchased in 2006.

This is my first thought the body is held up somehow. Doors fit but that is just to the opening. There must be enough vertical movement in door and hinge if body is truly high.

Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled a tape measure and measured from the cowl to the 2x2 tube and the drivers side is 7 3/4 and the passenger side is 8 3/16. I know its a crude way to measure but I think I may be high on that side..

I'm also going to measure front upper front shock mount to fender flair and see if it's the same side to side.

Can anyone verify if that when the body is properly located will the door hinges be close to each other on the vertical adjustment? I have the drivers side is about in the middle and the passenger side is almost to the bottom of the slot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would trim the driver side of the dash so you can move it up further. Problem solved.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I would trim the driver side of the dash so you can move it up further. Problem solved.
    mike
    I thought about that and on the blank dash that would work. The only issue would be the under dash filler and I suppose I could put more bend in that to match up