Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: "Spare tire" for long trips

Post Thanks / Like

"Spare tire" for long trips

So I'm about to embark on a 5 hour trip into our province's interior for a big car show near the end of June. I'm a bit nervous. This puppy hasn't proved to be all that reliable so far despite what most consider a high quality and careful build. In any case, what do you guys do in preparation for a possible flat tire? with the possible exception of the Daytona Coupe none of us has any room to care even a space saver spare. I guess the "can of goop" is the way to go? any of them better than others? other solutions?

Thx for your help.

P.S. any other tips for long distance travel welcome (yes, thinking of taking a tool kit, spare fuses,..)

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never tried the can of goop myself but have heard mixed results. Personally, I'd carry a rope plug kit and a mini air compressor. I've used rope plugs on both motorcycle and car tires, and they've lasted thousands of miles until the tire was worn out and replaced.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

3. Likes FF33rod, RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I carry a "plug" repair kit and 12V air compressor in the 3 cars I have that have no spares. Going to jinks it but they have never been used in many years and miles. When was the last time you had to change a tire on the side of the road? rare with modern tires that are in good shape. Just go and enjoy the trip.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    I carry a "plug" repair kit and 12V air compressor in the 3 cars I have that have no spares. Going to jinks it but they have never been used in many years and miles. When was the last time you had to change a tire on the side of the road? rare with modern tires that are in good shape. Just go and enjoy the trip.
    David W
    Funny you should ask - I had 3 flats this past winter on my M550i using low profile snowies. 2 were nails and one was pinched side wall due to a whopper of a pot hole...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry the same.. a scissor jack, a plug kit and a 12v compressor. I've had one puncture in my car, but I was ~1 mile from home..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry a plug kit and a bottle of tire sealer for small leaks along with an assortment of tools for "just in case" issues. Around here tire places refuse to install plugs in tires citing safety issues ( probably their insurance requirements).