FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear Axle Clearance on 3 Link

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rear Axle Clearance on 3 Link

I've got #333 with Moser rear axle option and 3 link rear suspension. Using the supplied Koni coilover, the 3rd member of the rear axle hits the diagonal member of the 3 link mount. And not just a little; it fails to clear by about 1.5" I've talked to Koni and Moser--no luck. FF techs say not to worry about it, it will clear under load. That's not acceptable to me--it won't always be under load. Has anybody else with this combo encountered this problem? How did you fix it? This is holding me up; I've got most of the go-cart stage finished and can't get to body work/paint till I get this worked out. Help please.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, I put the axles on jack stands. Then I took all the tension out of the coil overs. Let the body compress the shocks as far as gravity lets it(over night for me), then extend the upper link. I now have 1/2" - 3/4" clearance. That will increase with the car on the ground and a tank of gas. Hope this helps. Also, there was a post on the other forum about this same thing.

John

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the three link, but everyone I've talked to that does has had the same issue. There's nothing "wrong" that you can fix to make it not hit other than adjust the pinion angle up a bit to minimize it. I've heard of people using limiting straps if it's that big of a problem for you. I think someone even modified the cross brace for more clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's not a problem at all. There's nothin wrong and nothing to fix. Once you adjust your pinion angle the interference will just about disappear.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. It never hits on mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a 3 link for sale if someone wants it.

[email protected]