Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Coyote Tuning Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Coyote Tuning Issues

I have a 2018 Gen 3 Coyote we are attempting to tune. The tuner I'm using tried to connect with an SCT handheld tuner, we could not get the ECU Strategy to come up on the device so we could not preform a tune. I know several builders have used Lund with a N Gauge to tune the Gen 3 with no problem. The N Gauge is no longer available and I'm pretty sure Lund is using HP Tuners now. My tuner guy also has HP Tuners but we were not able to try it when I was there due to his partner being gone with the computer with the HP software. He is convinced there is a problem with my wiring on the car since the SCT would connect to other cars with Coyotes. He doesn't have alot of experience with the Gen 3 crate motors. I'm thinking there is a reason the SCT will not communicate with the Performance Pack ECU due to some difference from street cars. Looking for anybody with recent Gen3 tuner experience and what device was used.
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently purchased HP tuners and I've been doing lots of learning about these crate motor computers. At first I tried data logging, but lots of parameters were missing. The kicker is these computers do not have a VIN assigned to them so HP tuners, and I suspect also the SCT, cannot identify what they are connecting to. Once I did the "Read" with the correct controller file (the file that tells HP tuners editor SW what to do with the data from the stock tune) then I was able to connect properly. For reference if you have the Gen 3 controller and it looks like this with these part #s:

The HP tuners controller file is "TC-298 Ford 2018+". This will require a "write" function and the corresponding licenses which is a total of 4 (your tuner guy will know what that means). Also, you MUST be connected to the internet while performing this "read" function.

This might be more that you were looking for, but could be useful in the future. I posted the same on the HP Tuners forum. The controller identification came from Eric at HP tuners who responded to an email in a matter of hours. Top notch service from them.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    Gen 3 Coupe #268 build: Project Lighting Coyote
    Powered by Junkyard F-150 Gen 3 Coyote that may have a Voodoo flat plane crank installed

Post Thanks / Like
    That is my controller. Thank you so much for the post. In addition to what you said here I spent the past week after visiting my tuner on Tuesday either on the phone or emailing to sort this out. SCT was no help at all. Called Ford Performance and the Tech told me the SCT will not work on the crate motors, but the HP with the correct software would. Contacted HP and got the info similar to what you are saying from Eric as well. Was also directed by the Ford Tech to contact Livernois Motorsports in Dearborn, they are very familiar with these, more good info and confirmations. And also another place I contacted was Brenspeed in Indiana, super nice guy in Tech support very familiar with the situation and also said the HP will work. My tuner is basically strictly a Ford tuner but not too familiar with the crate engines. He was convinced I had wired something wrong therefore no connection. After double checking my wiring I found a discrepancy in the Ford Performance Pack instructions. The drawing of the OBD/ Data port shows 7 wires/ pins. I checked mine to make sure I didn't have a pin not seated correctly, pins were fine but I only had 5 pins. Called Ford back to verify, Tech said there is only 5 needed. I called another local builder I know who has the Gen 3 to double check, sure enough 5 pins in his. So hoping to get back to my tuner this week with good info. Thank you again, hope this might help others.
    1 other question, did you get the "TC-298 Ford 2018+ " file number from HP ?
    Last edited by Jryasko; 04-10-2022 at 11:13 AM.
    Mk4 9735 complete kit delivered 11/29/19 Gen 3 Coyote, Tremec TKO 600, Moser 3.55 First start June 25, 2020 First Go Cart July 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that number was given to me by Eric at HP tuners.
    Gen 3 Coupe #268 build: Project Lighting Coyote